New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
New product--Hello Kitty, Elmo Cup Cake Rings For Bow Center
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/pinklilywholesale-150-1.gif
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Hooked On Embroidery > Embroidery Supplies and Designs

Old 08-14-2012, 12:17

Default Best ribbon for machine emboidery?

Posted this under supplies; thought I'd get more responses here!

At some point I *will* start embroidering ribbon (for buttons). I know Schiff and Offray are known as quality brands, but I'm clueless beyond that.
1. Is there a brand particularly good for machine embroidery? (and who carries this brand?)

2. Does ribbon width make a difference in a 4x4 hoop? Is wider better? (I haven't even taken the machine out of the box, so I just don't know).
Sponsored Links
shopthecarousel-300.jpg
Old 08-14-2012, 05:28

Default Re: Best ribbon for machine emboidery?

Should have been more specific - I'll be doing monograms on the grosgrain, hopefully similar to this:

I say "hopefully" because I have no idea what to expect once I start!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02

To be honest I'm pretty sure that those buttons are made with fabric not ribbon.

Pampered Princess
Looking for wholesale felties? Check out my page! Lots to choose from.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47

the ribbon size depends on the size of the button being covered. you're going to need wider ribbon when working with bigger buttons as you need to have a lip all the way around that gets tucked to the back, before adding the back of the button..
I would try working with fabric first, ribbon snags and runs rather easily and is just harder to work with! Make sure to get all wrinkles out before adding the back to the button.
I just finished covering some 1 1/2" buttons. I put a small bit of stuffing in them to give demension and a softer feel.
Have fun, play around with your new machine and get to know it before taking on big projects.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidijens1 View Post
To be honest I'm pretty sure that those buttons are made with fabric not ribbon.
It really is grograin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5girls View Post
the ribbon size depends on the size of the button being covered. you're going to need wider ribbon when working with bigger buttons as you need to have a lip all the way around that gets tucked to the back, before adding the back of the button..
I would try working with fabric first, ribbon snags and runs rather easily and is just harder to work with! Make sure to get all wrinkles out before adding the back to the button.
I just finished covering some 1 1/2" buttons. I put a small bit of stuffing in them to give demension and a softer feel.
Have fun, play around with your new machine and get to know it before taking on big projects.
Thanks so much, but... I'm all set on the button part. Just looking for some information on the ribbon, since I haven't yet used my embroidery machine -- need to know what ribbon to buy.

So... is there a brand that works better with embroidery machines than others, and would 3" ribbon work better in a 4" hoop than (for example) 2.25", even though 2.25" might be perfectly wide enough for a given button size?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:43

Not really sure about different brands. I tried once to embroider on the tail of a bow......I didn't use stabilizer, and it puckered really bad and the ribbon had small runs in it where the stitching was. The width of the ribbon was 1 1/2", and I had plenty of room to embroider on it.
Sorry, but I don't actually know the brand name of the ribbon.
Good luck!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:11

Quote:
I tried once to embroider on the tail of a bow......I didn't use stabilizer, and it puckered really bad and the ribbon had small runs in it where the stitching was.
Thanks! I know what you mean... I have to use my wood burner to "melt" a pilot hole before I can set a snap or rhinestone into grosgrain. Stuff runs worse than pantyhose!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:31

You could try different stabilizers, and try putting them on top of ribbon along with the under side. Don't know if it would help or not, but that is what they recommend on the applique programs that I use.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:05

Quote:
You could try different stabilizers, and try putting them on top of ribbon along with the under side. Don't know if it would help or not, but that is what they recommend on the applique programs that I use.
Heck, I'll try it! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/ohsweetbabyboutiquewholesale-300.jpg