http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Hooked On Embroidery > Embroidery General Talk

Old 02-16-2011, 11:41

Default hats off to embroidery folks

I.HAD.NO.IDEA! How much time and supplies ($$$$) it took to do just monogrammed names on t-shirts. WOW!
After buying my machine, then stabilizers (3 stabilizers combined-seriously?!-for 1 project) and thread-I'm spent.
I consider myself tech savvy and a pretty fast learner so I've been watching all the you tube and embroidery library (FREE) videos for weeks and practicing. But, in the hoop, out of the hoop, I just can't seem to get my t-shirts right. Cotton is great-easy-peasy. Knits-BLAH! I could curse you basket of blank white t's!

Someone please give me hope that I'll get better (and faster) at this-or if you can reccommend a good class or online site for help I'd be very grateful.

Ok, I'm going to get a dose of chocolate so I can calm down

<>< Christy
my shop
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2011, 11:49

Default Re: hats off to embroidery folks

The best advice I could share is to go into your local sewing center or quilt shop and take a class. Most stores will not charge you for helping you get started, especially if you bought the machine from them.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50

Did you buy the machine from a dealer? If so you should be able to get a free class. If not, I agree go and sign-up for one. It takes time to master. Though I promise it does get easier, even the knit shirts....
~Janet~ Bow Hobbyist, retired WAHM.... When we move out of the way and give the Lord room to stand in our lives He will glorify Himself in us ~Isaiah 60:13
Old 02-16-2011, 11:51

This post just made me second guess whether I want to buy an embroidery machine or not. What machine did you buy?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:55

I got the singer futura ce 250-it had some bad reviews-not user friendly-but I like the autopunch software because you can take any clipart and digitize it. I've not really had in problems with the machine, but trying to get monograms on t-shirts is killin' me. I'm also a perfectionist, so one mis-aligned stitch sends me into panic mode.
I bought it online so no classes for free. But I need to find a class where someone has this machine and can help me because I have a ton of shirts in mind and it's driving me crazy

<>< Christy
my shop
Old 02-17-2011, 12:17

I feel your pain. I bought a brother online a year ago and I am still battling it. Honestly, I don't suggest you start with shirts/onesies. They are one of the hardest things to master. Felts are a nice start. If you want to do some cute little clippies. Or prefold diapers are another good one to start with.
I know I couldn't believe how expensive embroidery really is! The machine is nothing in comparison to the designs, materials, blanks etc.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
I feel your pain. I bought a brother online a year ago and I am still battling it. Honestly, I don't suggest you start with shirts/onesies. They are one of the hardest things to master. Felts are a nice start. If you want to do some cute little clippies. Or prefold diapers are another good one to start with.
I know I couldn't believe how expensive embroidery really is! The machine is nothing in comparison to the designs, materials, blanks etc.
I did some apron dresses and monogrammed those first thing-no problem, but now I'm on-oh who knows what number of t-shirt-and it is really driving me insane. I've played with settings and done everything short of standing on my head.
I haven't tried felts yet-that could be fun. Maybe I'll take a break from my shirts tomorrow and try something I might be successful at! Good luck with your machine.

<>< Christy
my shop
Old 02-20-2011, 01:10

Here's a tip. When I first got started doing the shirts, I embroidered on my DH's old tees, so i could get a feel for how the design is going to do on that type of material. I still do this with a new design if I am not sure I am going to like how it looks. This way I am not wasting a perfectly good blank and I have a use for my DH's thousands of old t-shirts! Keep playing around, you'll eventually figure out what stabilizer and all that jazz your machine likes best. Are you doing appliques? Those are not too bad to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia23 View Post
I did some apron dresses and monogrammed those first thing-no problem, but now I'm on-oh who knows what number of t-shirt-and it is really driving me insane. I've played with settings and done everything short of standing on my head.
I haven't tried felts yet-that could be fun. Maybe I'll take a break from my shirts tomorrow and try something I might be successful at! Good luck with your machine.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:41

Good news!! It gets better I was ready to pull my hair out after I got mine but after messing up on everything I tried to do, It finally got better. Dont give up keep trying !!!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:08

I have the exact same machine....I have had mine since Christmas and it does it better and yes its very expensive! One thing I did was run a test on my hoop you run two line one vertical and one horizontal to see exactly where the placement of the stitches are you my think they are right on the little arrows on your hoop, mine was not. My husband then made a placement grid out of the plastic grid mat (in the quiliting department at Joannes) put a hole where the center is and now we get really great placement each and every time. I know this probally sounds clear as mud, but you are welcome to PM me if you have anymore questions. I know exactly how you feel thought it would never come.....but it did! Now I need a ton of money to get everything I want...LOL
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg