Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > Craft Show

Craft Show Share your experience, help each other and good luck.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:56

Default Recovering after BAD show...

Well, this was only my third show and it was BAD!!! To begin with it was rainy, and I only made $36. Thank goodness the entry was only $25. Anyway I am having a hard time getting motivated after that experience and was wondering if anyone had ever felt like that before? And if so how did you get over it and get back out there?
Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2010, 06:00

Default Re: Recovering after BAD show...

My first show was like that. Paid $150 for the one day booth fee, and then we spent a lot getting supplies for it...just for me to make $15. Yep just $15 and that's before the fee! Weather was the issue. After a blow like that it's hard to want to do it, but then you think about how much you like doing bows and not all shows are like that!

Sorry your show wasn't so great. Some shows are good, others bad...but keep your head high and work your fingers off!!! Hopefully your next show will be better
Old 04-28-2010, 06:11

My mom has done shows for over 15 years and I will never forget her 1st show... she always reminds after all of these years She drove over 6 hours, for $1! She sold 1 little scrunchie!

Don't get up. It can only get better!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:42

part of doing biz... keep going or quit... are you a quitter? yes or no... if no suck it up and keep going
Old 04-29-2010, 12:53

As business people, we are most concerned about our bottom lines...profit/loss. But your experience at the show can be valuable for the future. Think of the event as a branding event in addition to a sales event. Just because someone looks at your products but doesn't buy doesn't mean you don't receive some benefit. While you didn't receive any revenue, you likely did build some brand equity. That's why it's important to establish your brand and promote it consistently.

Also, take note of why you did not reach your goals for the show. It sounds like you have established the weather as the driving force. But in future shows keep track of how many people visit, how many demonstrations you give, how many people glance as they walk by, etc. Then you can compare this total exposure with your sales and you can spot trends over time.

For example, if a lot of people are exposed to your products but your sales lag big time, you can conclude that the people probably aren't finding your products very desirable. Maybe it's because of price or design.

On the other hand, if people are walking by your stand but not stopping for more in depth looks, then something about your appearance is lacking. Maybe the types of people at the show arenít interested in your products. Or perhaps the setup is pushing people away.

So try not to take unmet goals too personally, and think of them as opportunities for improvement. There are so many reasons why sales can be slow. Just do some investigation.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:58

Just keep swimming

You'll have good shows and crummy shows and shows in between. Learn from it, keep your chin up and move on to the next show. Hang in there. My 1st show was like that and I've used it to learn from. I'll never forget it and it's been my motivation since.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:21

It is very hard not to feel disappointed after a lack-luster show. While weather may have factored in, there are often other reasons for low sales. The first few shows I did were certainly less than steller. I think the most I made at any of them was $75.00 in two days. And logging on to here, listening to so many success stories, did not make me feel any better. I finally spread out and attended a show about an hour away from me, and my stuff sold like hot-cakes! After several years, I have come to realize that the few local shows to my home are just a bust. The parents can barely brush their kids hair for school let alone worry about putting anything cute in it.

So keep checking out other shows. Even if you don't sign up as a vendor for a show, just try attending shows as a consumer so you can check out how many people are attending, are people buying, are there a ton of re-sellers, etc. Trust me, you will have plenty of stinkers. Just chalk them up to experience and know not to sign up for that show again. Also, don't be afraid to talk to other vendors. Often, they can be your best resource for finding new shows. I'm not saying find the closest bow head and ask for her best shows, but I chatted it up with a woman at one show who basically did shows as a living and only source of income. She turned me on to several great shows and talked me out of two that I wanted to do. I'm glad I listened. I attended those two shows as a consumer, and was glad I stayed away!

Don't get discouraged. Most of the girls here have had plenty of stirke-outs. If you truely like what you are doing, listen to MSquare, and just keep swimming. It will happen, and that first good show will make you feel great! Think about the slow shows as practice for setting up your booth!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:41

I just had my show and made 100 after fees I was really disappointed none of my clothes sold just bows, but I learned that it was worth it because since then I have gotten over 200 in wholesale orders from local stores. It was worth it. I have my second show next week, I have everything made and it will or it wont sell period. no need to stress
Old 04-29-2010, 07:20

you almost ALWAYS have a bad show!! At least once a year! I just had a bad home show, typically my home shows I net about 500.00 this show I only sold 70.00 worth of product BUT it still got me out there, AND I got a few orders in after that! You have to consider No show really is a BAD one! You are taking YOUR product out....getting YOUR name out and you may have return business becasue of it!

I just got a 150.00 cheer bow order off a lady from my very first craft show 2 years ago! She just remembered she had my card and gave me a call!

Just be sure to ALWAYS have a huge stash of business cards!!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:29

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. It means a lot coming from people who really understand what it is like to put yourself out there!!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg