http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/disney-minnie-mickey-mouse-ribbon-52yd-store.jpg zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/20pc-1.5in-petal-flower-clips-cm.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3-8-frog-grosgrain-ribbon.jpg cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
HipGirl 12pc Grosgrain Ribbon Wrapped 1/2" Headbands + Matching Large Hair Bow Alligator Clips. Interchangable Assorted Fashion Accessory for Girl Women Teen Kid Toddler Children Adult

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Business Issues > Craft Show

Craft Show Share your experience, help each other and good luck.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:47

Default Why do people buy "crappy" bows????

We are doing a show this weekend and last Spring we were the only bowmakers. This fall, there is a table set up right next to ours that sells bows. Grant it, I "overheard" the girl say that they've only been doing it for 3 weeks & it shows. Not to be a "ribbon snob" but their ribbon was cheap and their bows were ugly!!! However, they are cheap. $2 for a stacked boutique bow!!??!! Anyways, since the bows are so cheap, & it seems like they are having more sales!! Last night I was talking to them & she said that they wanted to drive to a town an 1.5 hours away just to look at new ribbon...."she was tired of looking at the same ribbon at Wal-Mart, Hobby, & Joann's". I didn't tell her about all the great ribbon that is better (& cheaper in the long run) online. Awful, I know.

Why would someone want to pay for a $2 bow that sides are not even & looks like crap????

It would've been nice if the owners of the show would not have put us right next to each other.....I mean...our bow holders are touching!!!!

I better get ready to go up there & relieve my friend of her duties today!
Sponsored Links

wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 09-12-2008, 11:56

Default Re: Why do people buy "crappy" bows????

There is a festival next month in the next town. This is exactly why I don't even bother. I have attended the past 2 years. I know what the others' look like and how much they sell for and I can't sell that cheap!

Boutique Hairbows, Accessories,and Clothing!
Click on my banner above!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:00

That stinks & makes it hard for us that make good quality bows. I guess ppl feel like they are getting a deal with the cheapy bows, but in the long run you know they won't hold up & will end up looking like holy hell.

Friends are God's way of taking care of us.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by soneal1027 View Post
That stinks & makes it hard for us that make good quality bows. I guess ppl feel like they are getting a deal with the cheapy bows, but in the long run you know they won't hold up & will end up looking like holy hell.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:34

Some people just don't know the difference between "cheap" and "low priced". They might be getting sales now, but more than likely no repeat customers. And they sound like the type that will grow tired of it and move on to the next "hot item".
I wouldn't have told them about the online ribbon either!
It does suck though, and I wish you luck! Maybe they'll overhear someone talking about the quality difference... (am I bad?) lol
Old 09-12-2008, 12:37

My DH and I are craft show junkies, we don't sell just shop! There are tons of bow booths at every show now. The majority are crappy,and they are either way under priced or the seller thinks they are wonderful and they are over priced! Use to I checked out everyone enjoyed chatting with the bowmakers and seeing all the different ideas and usually buying a few. Now I don't waste my time, you so want to tell them what they are doing to the business and themself. No one can master a craft in 3 weeks no matter who they are!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:23

3 weeks? I've been making bows now for about 3 months and I'm no where near ready to consider selling bows. My bows are starting to look good(better then some sellers I've seen), but I would only consider selling when they are PERFECT! Until then practice practice practice!

If cheap = better to a customer then you don't need them. A good customer recognizes quality and will appreciate it. They'll also keep coming back. Sometimes once people learn cheap isn't better(things fall apart, don't last long, etc) they start learning to look for quality:P
Old 09-12-2008, 02:02

you know how people always advertise how good quality there products are. You can get a banner that has your name of business and says hand sewn bows for extra durablilty and we only use quality ribbon......something like that. I don't sell but but when I buy anything I will pay a little extra for quality.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:20

There are a lot of people out there that are on budgets and just can't afford to pay for high priced bows. I'm sure they know a crappy bow when they see one but they are just seeing a hairbow or something to put in their childs hair at a low cost.

I don't think it is fair that more than one accessory booth be put next to each other. I have never done craft shows and I probably wont never considering the cost of even renting a booth.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
There are a lot of people out there that are on budgets and just can't afford to pay for high priced bows. I'm sure they know a crappy bow when they see one but they are just seeing a hairbow or something to put in their childs hair at a low cost.
I agree with her. Also they can't be making much money, especially if they are only buying their ribbons at these stores! They will realize it soon and quit selling or they will charge more. Then the cheap people will not buy from them anymore and then they will quit selling!lol. I bet you won't see them next year, and if you do let's hope they have learned a little more about the business!
Sponsored Links