Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Clever, Clever Ideas

Clever, Clever Ideas Have an idea? Saw an idea somewhere? Please share it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2009, 05:58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 226
Default Singed Flower question!

Hi everyone!

I've been playing around with these singed flowers!

I have a few questions if anyone can help me.

1) Do you use a pattern when you cut out the fabric for these?
(For example...I used a coaster for my bottom layer)
2) Do you cut out circles or a free-form flower shape?
3) What do you put in the middle? (bead, button, gem, etc...)
4) If you use beads--what type/size, etc...?
5) If I wanted to use the acrylic clear gems...where is the best place to buy them? I'm guessing I would need a 14mm or 20mm?

Another question....does anyone have a photo of a singed flower with something other than beads in the center? I'm just curious what it would look like.

Sorry for all the questions!!

These take forever to make and I'm trying to come up with some shortcuts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/hairbowcenter-300.jpg
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2009, 06:06
garfield615's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 2,345
Default Re: Singed Flower question!

Hi there, you can either do circles or a flower pattern. It's really up to you, whichever you prefer. I personally prefer circles, I just eye ball the size that I want for the finished flower. For the center, I use acrylic gem stones, size 6mm. You can check out pics of my stuff on my artfire.
www.artfire.com/users/danicasbowtique

Check it out and let me know what you think. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2009, 07:34
jhall52's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stafford, NY....WTH is that?
Posts: 1,260
Default Re: Singed Flower question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield615 View Post
Hi there, you can either do circles or a flower pattern. It's really up to you, whichever you prefer. I personally prefer circles, I just eye ball the size that I want for the finished flower. For the center, I use acrylic gem stones, size 6mm. You can check out pics of my stuff on my artfire.
www.artfire.com/users/danicasbowtique

Check it out and let me know what you think. Hope this helps.
They're gorgeous! I just made my first one and the biggest problem I had was working with the candle to singe the edges. I'm still seeing white spots! It's hell getting old!

Joanne
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2009, 07:36
ahaygood
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Singed Flower question!

I dont use a candle I use a lighter. It is easier to work with
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall52 View Post
They're gorgeous! I just made my first one and the biggest problem I had was working with the candle to singe the edges. I'm still seeing white spots! It's hell getting old!

Joanne
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2009, 08:37
jhall52's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stafford, NY....WTH is that?
Posts: 1,260
Default Re: Singed Flower question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaygood View Post
I dont use a candle I use a lighter. It is easier to work with
Thanks....I'll have to try the lighter. I was sitting in the kitchen wearing sunglasses while doing them and still was seeing spots!!!!

Joanne
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2009, 09:33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 226
Default Re: Singed Flower question!

Those are adorable!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2009, 09:44
ahaygood
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Singed Flower question!

And I dont cut circles I made a template of different sized flowers and pin to layers of fabric and cut them like that. I think it gives it a more flower look with the petals
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall52 View Post
Thanks....I'll have to try the lighter. I was sitting in the kitchen wearing sunglasses while doing them and still was seeing spots!!!!

Joanne
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2009, 10:36
jhall52's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stafford, NY....WTH is that?
Posts: 1,260
Default Re: Singed Flower question!

Thanks for the tip, Amber. I was wondering how to cut a bunch at once. I don't want to waste any fabric and felt like I was the way I was cutting them. What do you use for your template? Cardboard?

Joanne
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09
ahaygood
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Singed Flower question!

Nope just drew it on computer paper cut it out and then I stack the material (the layers) and pin it to the fabric and cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall52 View Post
Thanks for the tip, Amber. I was wondering how to cut a bunch at once. I don't want to waste any fabric and felt like I was the way I was cutting them. What do you use for your template? Cardboard?

Joanne
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2009, 04:47
staciem's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 416
Default Re: Singed Flower question!

I use templates that I've cut from heavy cardstock, though I'm thinking of making them in cardboard to hold up to wear and tear better. I place it on the fabric, use a chalk pencil (in the sewing section of the store) to draw the shape on the fabric, then cut. I use both circles and flower shapes. They look so different, and I really like both styles...

To burn my fabric, I use one of those handheld fireplace lighters with the long neck. It's great and allows me more control of where the fabric curls and singes. Also, it means a lot less finger burning! Large jar candles work, too, but I've found that I can only use them for a while. Once they burn down about half-way, the flame gets too low for me.

I use different types of centers. Sometimes I use beads, sometimes I use rhinestones, sometimes I use buttons. It just depends on the look of the flower you are going for.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
hip girl boutique LLC forum advertisement--pink-lily-wholesale
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/jazzycaps.png
New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/candyshopbeadsus-150.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/deescraftsupplies-150.png
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
New Item--Ribbon Spike
New-products-thermoweb mounting adhesive for adhering images

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger