New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/pinklilywholesale-150-1.gif
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Clever, Clever Ideas

Clever, Clever Ideas Have an idea? Saw an idea somewhere? Please share it here.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:58

Default Clip Liner Helper Again!

Sorry that im just getting to it, been busy with school and my 3 year old!

Once again, not magnificant and probably wont help those who have been doing this for years, i think it helps me keep things straight and less finger strain more than anything.

You can use other supplies, other things will work to make it these are just what I found at Michaels while thinking of what to use.

Supplies:
Thin Wood Slate (ill probably make a bigger one later so i can do more than 4 clips but this was the biggest that I could find there)
Thin Wood Sticks
Wooden Spools (to elevate wood slate, you can use just about anything thatll elevate it though)
Adhesive of your choice

Instructions (sorry if they arent clear im not too good at this)
-Measure 3/8" spaces on wooden slate and glue sticks into place to make slots (I just clipped a piece of 3/8" ribbon on the slate and glued my wooden sticks on each side of it as my way of measuring, probably couldve made them more even and will be more careful when i make a bigger one).
-Flip over and glue sticks on the bottom of the slate even with the ones on the top. Be sure to leave enough space in the corners of the wooden slate to glue the spools.
-Glue spools in the 4 corners of the bottom of the slate for elevation.
-Place precut strips on 3/8" ribbon into slots. In the pictures I used 5" pieces but i know most use 4 1/2" pieces.
-Place glue or tape onto ribbon. I use tape and just find it easier to lift the ribbon back up when taking the plastic strip off and placing it right back in the slot.
-Clip alligator clips onto slate/ribbon.
-Fold over to the back, then into the crease, and finally to the bottom.

Once again sorry if theyre not so clear, if you have any questions ill do my best to answer but im the newbie here lol. Someone asked about fully lining which i really hadnt thought about since i dont do it and didnt make this to sell but Im guessing after you get to the folding into crease step you can just take the clip off of the board keeping it opened and finish lining, not sure how much sense that makes!

Top View

Bottom View (with wooden sticks on botton even with the ones on top, to be able to feel and place bottom ribbon evenly)

With Ribbon (with double sided tape in place)

Clip Alligator clips on ribbon

Fold Ribbon Over

Fold ribbon into Crease

Fold ribbon to back of clip

Finished Front View

Finished Back View

P.S. I want to thank everyone who stood up for me through the clip liner drama, I really appreciated all of the kind words and support i received! This really is a great place and Ive learned so much in such a short time and am looking forward to learning more
Sponsored Links
hair flower patterns and instructions
Old 11-05-2009, 09:00

Default Re: Clip Liner Helper Again!

This is fab Tabbi, simply fab!!! I have a trip due to Michaels this weekend and i'll definitely be looking for these materials. If I can find something big enough to do 10 clips at a time I think i'll be over the moon.

I am SO over buys right now ....
Old 11-05-2009, 09:03

Please let me know if you do an where because id like to make a bigger one too!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbi0120 View Post
Please let me know if you do an where because id like to make a bigger one too!
Absolutely! I'm sure there are bigger wood platform thingys somewhere. I'll keep my eye out and report back.

I am SO over buys right now ....
Old 11-05-2009, 09:11

Whoo hoo, bought my supplies to make mine today but haven't found time yet today to assemble it...I did find a wood slate about 12 inches long and about 6 inches wide...I plan on having hubby cut it to 5 inches wide on the band saw so that I can measure ribbon right on the slate

Thank you again Tabbi you are AWESOME!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:12

Thank you! Im sure there are too, i just looked in one isle, my boyfriend was with me and not that interested so i was trying to hurry lol
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15

you can probably find a bigger one at home depot or lowes
Old 11-05-2009, 10:11

i'm tempted to make one!

as people are making theirs, they should show the pics as well.

thanks for helping everyone with your invention.

do you do your clips "upside down?" i was confused when i saw them because the little hill at the top of the clip is on the other side. does everyone do that?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:38

I attatch the "flat" side to bows, i dont know i just always thought the curvy part went against the head and kind of helped it stay in place. I think a lot of people do it the other way around though. Im really not sure if there is a right or wrong way to do it, maybe im doing it wrong lol.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:02

some people do them like that. i personally do it the opposite way - flat side on the head.

whatever works for you and your clients!!
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/appletati.png