New product--7/8' mini bean cord locks for toggle headbands
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
New product--ziplock bags
New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
New product--diamond glaze
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
New product--3/8' wrapped headband

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Clever, Clever Ideas

Clever, Clever Ideas Have an idea? Saw an idea somewhere? Please share it here.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:21

Default Cutting tulle off the bolt?

I bought a bunch of tulle from Joann's when their tulle was 50% off. Now I'm making tutu's with them. I just have to say it is a PITA to cut!

Does anyone have any quick ways that they cut theirs? Is there a trick to it?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/PoshPrincessBows1.jpg
Old 07-12-2009, 02:25

Default Re: Cutting tulle off the bolt?

I could have posted this exact thread a week ago!! How awful is it to try and cut!! I folded mine in a narrow strip and then cut through a couple layers...Still not easy. But that was the only way I could figure out how to without getting frustrated and throwing the whole thing away.

Can't wait to see some responses!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:33

I had the same problem in the beginning. I found that folding and then pinning with straight pins top and bottom (or using painter's tape) helped to hold my layers staight.

<>< Christy
my shop
Old 07-12-2009, 04:53

the last ones i did I just rolled the tulle up and then i cutthe ends, like where you can feel it get thick, then just cut it in the width i wanted and there you have it it was really easy!! you could use a rotary tool...hth
Old 07-12-2009, 08:45

I always have trouble cutting the bolts of tulle also so I decided to buy the 12" wide rolls of tulle from BBcrafts. It has worked out really well for me. I know that doesn't really help with your cutting issue.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:55

That's what I do,but without the rotary tool..I would like to try one of those,though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmomma View Post
the last ones i did I just rolled the tulle up and then i cutthe ends, like where you can feel it get thick, then just cut it in the width i wanted and there you have it it was really easy!! you could use a rotary tool...hth
Old 07-13-2009, 01:10

When I made my first one for DD, the tulle I had cut from the store was 5 yards. I didn't really think that I would have an issue cutting it. Duh! I ended up rolling it width wide and then using a cutting ruler and scissors and cut it that way. The strips were not straight, but you can't tell once its all made.

Just wasn't sure if there was a trick to cutting it faster.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:55

I cut mine into 6 inch strips while it is still on the bolt. I use a rotary tool and if you Have a new blade it will cut through all the layers with no problem. I just put it on a hard surface and mark every 6 inches cut one side and then flip it over and cut the other side. It is a little tricky to join the 2 cuts together but its never been a huge deal. Then whenever I need it I can just pull one 6 inch section off of the bolt and its just like using the roll. Did this make any sense...as I am reading it it sounds confusing but I promise it works, it is a money saver too because if you can use one of Hobby Lobbys 50 percent off coupons you can get a 40 yard bolt for 20 bucks then that becomes roughly 280 yard of 6 inch tulle so that is like buying the kind on the roll for 0.7 cents a yard.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
it is a money saver too because if you can use one of Hobby Lobbys 50 percent off coupons you can get a 40 yard bolt for 20 bucks then that becomes roughly 280 yard of 6 inch tulle so that is like buying the kind on the roll for 0.7 cents a yard.
Wow!!!! This week they have a discount but not $50 off, I did hit them up for a little but just to use for a few tutu's. I never thought to buy the whole bolt from them.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:51

I think I saw this posted on here somewhere, But she wraped the tulle lengthwise around a 20" cookie sheet then cut it at the ends of the cookie sheet. I havent tried it yet, but it sounded pretty genius to me. I think she even posted a picture. HTH
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/MMexclusivewholesaleribbon-300.jpg