New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Clever, Clever Ideas

Clever, Clever Ideas Have an idea? Saw an idea somewhere? Please share it here.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:18

Default Re: Do you have a Clever Idea or Words of Wisdom for New Members?

1. Do the research both on the site using the search button and the web in general. Don't ask questions with your 1st post introduce yourself 1st.
2.If someone offers free directions take notes. There is a chance they may come back and edit/delete the post later.
3. Don't answer a ton of old posts trying to make 100 posts. The bulk information is on the the non-private boards. Besides its hard for older members to see what's current.
4. Practice, practice, practice. Understand your not going to master everything especially right away.
5. Be realistic, if this is suppose to be your business there is no way you can start making bows get a site up and expect to make money all 3 months (just giving a hypothetical). Do the research, practice your craft, perfect your craft, write a business plan. 50% of business fail within the 1st year 95% fail within the 1st 5 years.
6. If your doing this because you just want to make some extra money or lots of money stop now. If you don't have a passion for what your doing your bound to fail so save yourself some time and money and just stop now.
7. Give respect/credit where respect/credit are do. There are a lot of people who came before us and listed some great information that you and I still use to this very day. If it wasn't for the talent (tips, how to's, instructions) of many of these woman majority of us would not be here.
8. Don't take credit for someone else's work or steal/borrow their photos. Take the time to do what you need to do for your business to ensure you have a solid foundation.
9. Toughen up. Don't take comments too personal. Take opinions for what they are, opinions. Grow a thick skin there are different types of personalities and we all aren't going to get along. This site as far as we're concerned is just for networking. It's ok to disagree and state your point but don't play into the drama and go tic for tat. Someone has to be mature enough to let it go.
10. At the end of the day make sure your not neglecting yourself or your family. Having a great selling bows and making tons of money means nothing if there's no one around to celebrate & share it with.

Last edited by Whit21; 05-05-2009 at 12:30.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 04-26-2009, 08:42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit21 View Post
1. Do the research both on the site using the search button and the web in general. Don't ask questions with your 1st post introduce yourself 1st.
2.If someone offers free directions take notes. There is a chance they may come back and edit/delete the post later.
3. Don't answer a ton of old emails trying to make 100 posts. The bulk information is on the the non-private boards. Besides its hard for older members to see what's current.
4. Practice, practice, practice. Understand your not going to master everything especially right away.
5. Be realistic, if this is suppose to be your business there is no way you can start making bows get a site up and expect to make money all 3 months (just giving a hypothetical). Do the research, practice your craft, perfect your craft, write a business plan. 50% of business fail within the 1st year 95% fail within the 1st 5 years.
6. If your doing this because you just want to make some extra money or lots of money stop now. If you don't have a passion for what your doing your bound to fail so save yourself some time and money and just stop now.
7. Give respect/credit where respect/credit are do. There are a lot of people who came before us and listed some great information that you and I still use to this very day. If it wasn't for the talent (tips, how to's, instructions) of many of these woman majority of us would not be here.
8. Don't take credit for someone else's work or steal/borrow their photos. Take the time to do what you need to do for your business to ensure you have a solid foundation.
9. Toughen up. Don't take comments too personal. Take opinions for what they are, opinions. Grow a thick skin there are different types of personalities and we all aren't going to get along. This site as far as we're concerned is just for networking. It's ok to disagree and state your point but don't play into the drama and go tic for tat. Someone has to be mature enough to let it go.
10. At the end of the day make sure your not neglecting yourself or your family. Having a great selling bows and making tons of money means nothing if there's no one around to celebrate & share it with.
Excellent advice!

Thought of another to add. Just because this may be a "hobby" for you and you "do it just to make a little spending money" doesn't mean you should undercut everyone else who does this as a business. Sorry but this is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19

Great advice. Practice makes perfect. I agree about undercutting /underpricing, i have seen some sellers on etsy selling clips for .75 cents not cool.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNice123 View Post
Great advice. Practice makes perfect. I agree about undercutting /underpricing, i have seen some sellers on etsy selling clips for .75 cents not cool.
I guess my only advice for that would be not to sell yourself short. Yes it may have only cost $.50 worth of materials to make the item but what about your time? This is something that needs to be figured into the price otherwise you're working for pennies
Old 05-05-2009, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit21 View Post
I guess my only advice for that would be not to sell yourself short. Yes it may have only cost $.50 worth of materials to make the item but what about your time? This is something that needs to be figured into the price otherwise you're working for pennies

this is one of my pet peeves too. While I am cheap, an ex customer of mine decided to start making bows "because she can't afford them anymore" then here we are a few months later and she's SELLING not only bows but wants to "try" out tutu's as well for $1 or so less than mine. hmmm how convient!!

To each their own...if it works out then I'll be the first to shake her hand. But, it cost more to sell bows than buying them in my opinion (when starting out anyway) and its a lot more work than just making a few bows to sell...why underpay yourself!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollydimple View Post
Do NOT log on to this site when you're supposed to be working-you'll never get anything done!
Oops! That is why nothing is getting accomplished LOL
Old 06-22-2009, 08:15

I'm still relatively new to this board (and I make tutus, not bows) but I would like to add one thing: be appreciative of the people who take time to answer your questions and help you out. It's the reason why I keep coming back here. Everyone is so helpful and this is such a great resource. ALWAYS say thank you!!

that's all I wanted to say
Old 06-22-2009, 08:38

stop now before you become addicted!!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyeliza View Post
I'm still relatively new to this board (and I make tutus, not bows) but I would like to add one thing: be appreciative of the people who take time to answer your questions and help you out. It's the reason why I keep coming back here. Everyone is so helpful and this is such a great resource. ALWAYS say thank you!!

that's all I wanted to say
Dont be affended when you dont get replies. The search button will become your best friend.

Also dont join and let your first post be give up your suppliers for everything. Alot of people work very hard to find thier suppliers and if you "search " you will find alot of them on here and online.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:58

Bump...