Craft Show Display Ideas
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/hair-bow-gift-basket-tutorial-title.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/clothesline-for-craft-show-display-title.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/bow-card-punch-tutorial-title.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/hair-bow-display-bow-title.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/hair-bow-holder-craft-show-display-title.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/custom%20bow%20cards-3-sm.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/dress-form-craft-show-display-title.JPG

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Clever, Clever Ideas

Clever, Clever Ideas Have an idea? Saw an idea somewhere? Please share it here.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:01

Default How'd They Make This !

I THINK THE TOP OF THIS TUTU COSTUME IS SOOO PRETTY , I WONDER HOW THEY MADE IT ??? ANY IDEAS ? ................ (I WOULDNT PAY 200.00 PRICE TAG FOR IT THOUGH )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16241_PD3.jpg (35.0 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg 16241_PD2.jpg (62.6 KB, 602 views)
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 09-02-2008, 10:36

Default Re: How'd They Make This !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLASMEME View Post
I THINK THE TOP OF THIS TUTU COSTUME IS SOOO PRETTY , I WONDER HOW THEY MADE IT ??? ANY IDEAS ? ................ (I WOULDNT PAY 200.00 PRICE TAG FOR IT THOUGH )

That is beautiful!

I have another project to add to my list, lol. Although, this one might have to be put close to the top of the list. I always have liked weaving ribbon.

It doesn't look like it would be too hard to make. My guess is that the woven bodice is sewn to a piece of plain pink fabric (the same as the skirt part of the dress). That way it will hold it's shape. Make sure to sew the ribbon straps in between the solid pink material and the woven bodice. The back part of the bodice is solid pink also (it looks like it might have some elastic strips sewn to it to gather it up). Layered tulle that has been trimmed with the same ribbon as the bodice was woven with. Solid pink skirt.

That might not be the exact way it was done, but that's how I would do it. I would come up with my own pattern to make it the length and size that I need.

Then I think I would have to weave me a coordinating Easter basket, lol. I've made the woven ribbon Easter basket before so I know it would match perfectly.

Thank you for posting this!!! I'm excited, I think this will be my youngest dd's Easter dress next year.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:46

Looks like basket weave.. although I have no clue how to do it....

Old 09-02-2008, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvribbonarts View Post
That is beautiful!

I have another project to add to my list, lol. Although, this one might have to be put close to the top of the list. I always have liked weaving ribbon.

It doesn't look like it would be too hard to make. My guess is that the woven bodice is sewn to a piece of plain pink fabric (the same as the skirt part of the dress). That way it will hold it's shape. Make sure to sew the ribbon straps in between the solid pink material and the woven bodice. The back part of the bodice is solid pink also (it looks like it might have some elastic strips sewn to it to gather it up). Layered tulle that has been trimmed with the same ribbon as the bodice was woven with. Solid pink skirt.

That might not be the exact way it was done, but that's how I would do it. I would come up with my own pattern to make it the length and size that I need.

Then I think I would have to weave me a coordinating Easter basket, lol. I've made the woven ribbon Easter basket before so I know it would match perfectly.

Thank you for posting this!!! I'm excited, I think this will be my youngest dd's Easter dress next year.
your welcome , I fell in love with it - so how hard is it to weave the ribbon (I have no clue how to do it ?) TIA
Old 09-02-2008, 11:24

Quote:
your welcome , I fell in love with it - so how hard is it to weave the ribbon (I have no clue how to do it ?) TIA
I don't find it hard at all. Have you ever made the loom potholders? It's like doing those.

For the bodice I would say that you would need to find you something like a picture frame to use like a loom. Just find a size a little bigger than you want the bodice to be. I would then take my ribbon and cut strips a little wider than the long side of the frame (cut enough strips in whatever pattern you choose to go from top to bottom). I would either tape or tack them to the side of the frame.

Next, cut strips a little longer than it measures from top to bottom (cut enough strips in whatever pattern you choose to go from one side to the other). Tack your first strip down at one corner and go under the first ribbon, then over the next ribbon. Continue the under, over pattern until you have woven your fist strip. Tack your second strip down right beside the first strip. This time you will go over the first ribbon, then under the next ribbon. You will continue this over, under pattern until you have woven your second strip. You will continue this pattern with the other strips until you have reached the other side. You will notice, you are doing the opposite on each row. If you went under it on the previous row, you will go over it on the current row and vice versa.

When you have finished weaving the rectangle I would place the pink material under the frame and pin each ribbon in place to the pink fabric before taking it off the frame. If you don't do that your ribbon might come unwoven some. Then you can run a hem around it and take out the pins.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvribbonarts View Post
I don't find it hard at all. Have you ever made the loom potholders? It's like doing those.

For the bodice I would say that you would need to find you something like a picture frame to use like a loom. Just find a size a little bigger than you want the bodice to be. I would then take my ribbon and cut strips a little wider than the long side of the frame (cut enough strips in whatever pattern you choose to go from top to bottom). I would either tape or tack them to the side of the frame.

Next, cut strips a little longer than it measures from top to bottom (cut enough strips in whatever pattern you choose to go from one side to the other). Tack your first strip down at one corner and go under the first ribbon, then over the next ribbon. Continue the under, over pattern until you have woven your fist strip. Tack your second strip down right beside the first strip. This time you will go over the first ribbon, then under the next ribbon. You will continue this over, under pattern until you have woven your second strip. You will continue this pattern with the other strips until you have reached the other side. You will notice, you are doing the opposite on each row. If you went under it on the previous row, you will go over it on the current row and vice versa.

When you have finished weaving the rectangle I would place the pink material under the frame and pin each ribbon in place to the pink fabric before taking it off the frame. If you don't do that your ribbon might come unwoven some. Then you can run a hem around it and take out the pins.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.
theresa , thanks so much !!! I want to "try" & make this (in diff. colors) for Bella a halloween costume , the picture was one of the costumes from an e-mail (poshtots.com) you should see their mermaid costumes 4-500 $ unreal !!!! thanks again for the instructions !!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:47

You are more than welcome! I'm glad I could help!

Quote:
theresa , thanks so much !!! I want to "try" & make this (in diff. colors) for Bella a halloween costume , the picture was one of the costumes from an e-mail (poshtots.com) you should see their mermaid costumes 4-500 $ unreal !!!! thanks again for the instructions !!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypiggysboutique View Post
Oh my gosh! I just looked at the website! HOLY COW!! Do people really buy this stuff? Don't get me wrong it is stunning, but $28 for a short sleeve t-shirt with the word babe embroidered on it???? $110 for a newsboy cap... seriously!! Some people have more $$$ than brains!
I know ! They send me catalogs & it's like unreal some of the prices !!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:12

If you have LCOB's basket weave headband instructions, I bet you could use that method too (just on a larger scale).

Bows, Etc.
Handmade hair bows, clips, and headbands for all ages.

Kumihimo Woven Headband Instructions now available in my Etsy shop!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:26

Just wondering out loud here, could you maybe use some wonderunder or soemthing like that to bond the woven ribbon to the fabric for the bodice?

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Sponsored Links