new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Cheer Bows

Cheer Bows Share your Cheer Bows Here! Show your Spirit!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:44

Default Wholesale pricing

Hey all! I'm new here but have been making bows for years. I've recently branched out from strictly hobby to a small business. I've done quite a few team orders locally and was approached by a local business owner who does cheer uniforms and camp wear. She loved my bows and wanted to use me as a vendor. So. When we got down to numbers she told me that her "other bow ladies" only charge about $2.75 per 3" grosgrain bow for "wholesale". I normally charge $5-7 per bow depending on how big the order is when I make them for teams. And I've never personally paid less than $10 for a plain bow when I've had to buy them for my daughter, so I know she's not selling these for $5 each. The stuff she normally sells looks cheap and unfinished and all my bows are identically tied, even ends, v cut and heat sealed. No glue showing etc. iIs it worth my time to make bows for so cheap? Granted I can make about 20 plain bows an hour but it seems like a lot of work for so little return. Any and all info you'd like to share is much appreciated!
TIA!
Heather
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 07-21-2014, 07:28

Default Re: Wholesale pricing

I have been in the same boat in the past. Something that I have done is individually calculate the cost of materials. For me, a 3" grosgrain bow costs $0.82 to make. I valued my time at 25% of the cost, leaving me at a total of $1.025. This is the hands down cost that it takes me to make a bow.
For wholesale pricing, I take the cost times 2. This leaves me at $2.05.
For Distribution/Team Pricing (25% off retail), I am at $3.08.
For retail (wholesale x 2), I am at $4.10.

So the uniform lady isn't out of line to ask for the $2.50-$3 price range. It just depends on how much you spend on materials. Personally, I will search for weeks just to find the lowest priced and highest quality product. I would calculate the cost it takes to make you one bow (hairtie, grosgrain, center tie, etc) and go from there.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:41

The cheapest I sell any bow for is $5.00 and that is for a basic 3" ribbon bow. My calculated cost per bow is simple.....1st I give myself $25/hr. From beginning to end I can do 20 bows/hr. So that's $2.00 + $1.50 for other materials (ribbon $.85 and $.65 for scrunchie, zip tie, center wrap, glue) so my total cost is $3.50. Retail is $7.00 and wholesale/team orders 24 or less = $6.00, 25 + $5.00.

Sometimes I do and can get items on sale which will reduce my cost, however it usually takes more time and driving (more time) to get to the place with the sale, so I do take that into consideration. Also a rule of thumb is I give my lowest regular cost especially for repeat customers; I do not want to sell something for $3.00 because it was on sale and when they re-order, I can't get the same item(s) on sale so now I have to charge you $5.00. This does not look good and you take the chance of loosing a repeat customer because you price fluctuates.
There are many individuals in the bow business (and other home based business) that do not pay themselves for their time and other overhead such as electricity and space. This is a bad business model, as you will never be able to grow your business to make it selfsustaining.....JMO and Good luck to all.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecheerblingbowtique View Post
Hey all! I'm new here but have been making bows for years. I've recently branched out from strictly hobby to a small business. I've done quite a few team orders locally and was approached by a local business owner who does cheer uniforms and camp wear. She loved my bows and wanted to use me as a vendor. So. When we got down to numbers she told me that her "other bow ladies" only charge about $2.75 per 3" grosgrain bow for "wholesale". I normally charge $5-7 per bow depending on how big the order is when I make them for teams. And I've never personally paid less than $10 for a plain bow when I've had to buy them for my daughter, so I know she's not selling these for $5 each. The stuff she normally sells looks cheap and unfinished and all my bows are identically tied, even ends, v cut and heat sealed. No glue showing etc. iIs it worth my time to make bows for so cheap? Granted I can make about 20 plain bows an hour but it seems like a lot of work for so little return. Any and all info you'd like to share is much appreciated!
TIA!
Heather
Tia, I agree with you completely. I am glad to hear that your bows are made well and the right way. It does take more time to produce a "well made bow". I take pride in my work and take my time to make sure it is perfect! like you with no glue showing, sealed edge, even ends, etc. I have seen way too many bow sellers producing ugly unprofessional bows where they charge below what I estimate as market value! So, let them be. I have been with my rec/MS/HS program for over 15 years and just in the last 4 I have been making their bows....and it was worth the wait. Because the always went from one vendor to the next and were never really satisfied, but their cost was cheaper than mine. Now I am their only bow, t-shirt, practice outfits vendor. It did take some time, but the realization was there that the start out with the cheaper stuff and can never make it out the season without having to order additional items because things start falling apart and many times they are not able to get the same thing (sales items with always bite you in the butt).
All this to say, stick to your professional product and you price, in time individuals with notice the difference, then you'll have dedicated repeat customers. Good Luck
Old 07-22-2014, 12:51

Thanks for all of your input! I take a lot of time hand tying each bow and fluffing the loops etc. I heat seal my center ribbon and fold the top piece over for a nice clean look. I also use higher quality hair ties to help prevent breakage. If I buy my ribbon in 100 yd spools, which I do for basic school colors, my cost for materials only is about 75 per bow. However I do think my time is worth something and I do want to make a profit. That's why I figured my wholesale cost at $4. I sell plain ones to schools for $6 as a rule and only charge $8 each for vinyl embellished ones if they order more than 12. Now of course when I vendor at competitions I sell them for $10-15 each for embellished and do on the spot customization which I charge extra for. I guess if I wasn't charging for my time $2.75 would sound pretty good, but I do think my time and efforts are worth something.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.