Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Cheer Bows

Cheer Bows Share your Cheer Bows Here! Show your Spirit!

Old 05-23-2014, 08:20
Unhappy 2 1/4 Cheer Bow Help

I am making bows for our dance team in the cheer bow style but they would prefer 2 1/4" ribbon. These are layered bows.

Having trouble getting the loops and tails more vertical. They want to be more horizontal (or side to side vs up and down).

Is this a problem because of the ribbon width?

Using 2 1/4" Grosgrain with mystique fabric. 28" ribbon length with a 4 to 5 inch loop length, accordian fold and a zip tie to hold the center.

Wondering if I need to somehow tack the the two loops together with thread near the center to pull them closer together.

Is this a common problem with using this size ribbon or am I doing something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2014, 10:14
Default Re: 2 1/4 Cheer Bow Help

sounds like you need to research more. Cheer bows are not made with 2 1/4 ribbon.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:26

I normally make a cheer bow using 28" of 3" ribbon. You may want to try and reduce the length of your ribbon to 26". Make your ribbon marks at 6", 13" and 20". When forming your bow, I would try and use an embroidery floss vs. A wire tie. I would also accordion fold and wrap the cross section with the embroidery floss in the front first, then do another accordion fold in the back and join to the front. That may help your loops stand up more vertically. Hope that helps.
"Saving the world from pitiful looking cheer bows one cheerleader at a time!"

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Old 06-03-2014, 04:34

Thanks gmcks2001, will try that next time. I have these 120 finished, and the group is pleased.

And amtorres the dance team prefers the smaller width ribbon. They do not want 3".
Old 12-29-2014, 05:01

All my high school teams want the 2 1/4" ribbon. (The cheer gyms/comp teams want the 3") I do a 26" ribbon and use zip ties double wrapped with 1/4" ribbon to secure the center, and then covered with 3/8"
Sponsored Links
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies

cheer bow loop stiff help