New product--flat back resin
ecommerce web hosting
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Cheer Bows

Cheer Bows Share your Cheer Bows Here! Show your Spirit!

Old 08-09-2013, 04:21

Default Cricut Taboo?

So I am hearing that there is software that you can "jail break" a cricut, and use your own designs and fonts once you convert them to"something" or some type of file.

Sound quite taboo - but I'm dying to cut our schools mascot and I've yet to find anything close with Cricut cartridges.

Anyone ever do this? I'm sure no one really wants to risk breaking their machines.. I just have this feeling that if my cricut goes online to this online craft room, that there is some way to make it do my bidding... maybe even cut templates for rhinestones.

I really don't want to keep paying 30 bucks to use one icon from each pack, like the paw print i want, I really have no use for some of the other icons on that cartridge.
I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, the Cricut was a wonderful surprise, it's just not the cameo.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/PoshPrincessBows1.jpg
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44

Default Re: Cricut Taboo?

I'm replying to myself! Ha!

But I just thought if anyone was interested in not spending hundreds of dollars on cricut cartridges, they may look here.

After more extensive Googling research I have found this:

So, the newer cricuts can not use the software I had heard about, which I found out was called Sure Cuts A Lot.

Bummer. I'm obviously behind the times on this one.

Now I'm at a standstill as far as fonts go because I refuse to pay 39.99 for a font package from cricut and get ONE font.

But - I've got four cartridges that make some really REALLY cute stuff like footballs, basketballs, castles, the word DIVA and other sayings and things I know I can sell bows with, so I'll make them and simply SAVE up for a Cameo.

If you are reading this and wondering on what to buy to cut things - TAKE IT FROM ME

BUY THE CAMEO - SAVE for the Cameo especially if you are a font obsessed momma like me or even if you think you may want to make rhinestone templates.

It's just so crazy though - this cricut runs from my computer and it's craft room.. I just KNOW inside my brain something doesn't add up. There has to be some file extension, folder, SOMETHING where I could alter it to accept more.. but I'm simply not smart enough or "hackable" savvy enough.

Oh well.

Lesson learned. I do love this cricut though - made some really cute t-shirts with some heat press vinyl, and very cute bows.. it's just not enough for what some of these people have asked for.

I did find the basic shapes to be promising - Here is a bow I made for the 4th of July parade last month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1tiny4th.jpg (143.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-11-2013, 12:44

Nice bow *^_^*! I have the cameo and still can't find all the things I need images of either. Looks like we are in the same boat lol. Guess I need to research some more things because I see everybody else can do it. Maybe there is an extra program . We will get it.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:49

With the silhouette you can make your own cut files--I do recommend upgrading to the Studio Software for $50.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:43

With the silhouette does that actually cut the fabric? If so with the heat bond on or before you put the heat bond on?

Thank you Sher
Old 08-17-2013, 11:03

I bought the heat transfer vinyl. Now, if it would only get here so that I can play with it all!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:18

Skip the Cricut and jump right in to the silhouette. There are quite a few FB groups for the silhouette, using vinyl, using rhinestones, cutting fabric. I'm a member of no less then 5 groups. So much info you go cross eyed.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:06

I wish I would have done the cameo, but this cricut practically landed in my lap, so I'm starting a savings for one

I've had somewhat good luck with cutting fabric on the cricut actually, but I used sticky transfer type paper over the fabric and did the heat n bond on the back as well. New blade was important and I had to play around with the pressure setting and do everything SLOWLY! That stretch lycra is hard to cut and without a good sticky topping (like the clear sheet that comes off the heat press vinyl) it just rips the fabric. I also sprayed my mat down with canned spray adhesive.

Maybe santa is bringing my cameo because now I'm obsessed with wanting to make rhinestone transfers. I've been watching videos from The Rhinestone World. They are very helpful!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklestars View Post
I bought the heat transfer vinyl. Now, if it would only get here so that I can play with it all!
You will LOVE playing with it! I had so much fun the day it arrived. I'm sure my husband thinks I'm nuts!
Sponsored Links
http://hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/phoshnpretty.jpg