New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Cheer Bows

Cheer Bows Share your Cheer Bows Here! Show your Spirit!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:02

Default question ladies!!!!!

ok so im am about to do my first big order and I am tying to determine how many yards of spandex I am going to need. so my question is about how many 30" strips can I get out of 1 yard of fabric.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 08-08-2013, 08:24

Default Re: question ladies!!!!!

If a yard is 36 inches and the cheer bows you are making are 3 inches wide;

36 (inches) divided by 3 (inches) = 12 Strips

So I would say that you should (in theory) get 12, 3 inch x 30 inch strips out of 1 yard of Spandex. However, It would depend on what way you cut the fabric as although the length you are purchasing would be 36 inches (1 Yard), the width of the actual fabric is usually anything between 44 and 54 inches wide.

I hope that helps
Old 08-08-2013, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymocha View Post
ok so im am about to do my first big order and I am tying to determine how many yards of spandex I am going to need. so my question is about how many 30" strips can I get out of 1 yard of fabric.
The average yard of fabric should give you 24 bows. The material should be at least 54 inches wide, most are 60" so you should get 12 3" strips that is 54/60 inches long then cut is 2 so you should get 24 27-30" strips.
congratulations on your first large order and Good luck!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerstones View Post
The average yard of fabric should give you 24 bows. The material should be at least 54 inches wide, most are 60" so you should get 12 3" strips that is 54/60 inches long then cut is 2 so you should get 24 27-30" strips.
congratulations on your first large order and Good luck!

ok that Is great to know! I will actually get twice that because im doing a split bow so each side will be a different fabric so it will actually give me about 48 per yard. but thanks so much on the kudos!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymocha View Post
ok that Is great to know! I will actually get twice that because im doing a split bow so each side will be a different fabric so it will actually give me about 48 per yard. but thanks so much on the kudos!!!
There is an inch or so of selvage on each side of the fabric. That will reduce your cut area down to 58". If you are working with a pattern, it is best to cut all going to same way or some of your bows may look funky.

I normally get 17 bows if I cut my fabric parallel to the selvage. If I cut the other way, not as many if I have to cut all the same direction.

HTH

Ann

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Old 08-08-2013, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcks2001 View Post
There is an inch or so of selvage on each side of the fabric. That will reduce your cut area down to 58". If you are working with a pattern, it is best to cut all going to same way or some of your bows may look funky.

I normally get 17 bows if I cut my fabric parallel to the selvage. If I cut the other way, not as many if I have to cut all the same direction.

HTH

Ann
If you cut vertical to the selfedge (up/down) and you have one yard (36") that will give you 12 strips in 58" (not including the selfedge) of which each will give two strips 3" x 29".....so you will have at least 24 bows......that is if your width of fabric is 58-60" if it is less like some speciality fabrics (some sequins) or lace which range from 32-45" then you will get about 17
Sponsored Links