Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Cheer Bows

Cheer Bows Share your Cheer Bows Here! Show your Spirit!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:38

Default Tips for sewing through thick layers?

I have three local squads (45-60 bows per group) I make bows for each summer. I just got the order for one and my fingers already hurt just thinking about sewing them. I have 3" ribbon, 1.5" ribbon and 7/8 sequin fabric with HNB between the layers. Any tips or tricks for sewing? Sometimes I put my needle into a flame and it sews easier for a bit while warm. Thought there might be a trick I don't yet know!

Kelly
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:41

Default Re: Tips for sewing through thick layers?

I just made my first bow with HNB th other day and it is hard to sew through. When I have something thick to sew through I use a tool that I have(like a little pair of jewelry pliers) to help with pulling the needle through. You can also use it to help push it through. HTH!!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:00

Does it have to be sewn? Could you use a tag gun? I use an industrial Mark lll Buttoneer, and LOVE it. Very strong tags, and nearly invisible - 1/4" and 3/8" available.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede View Post
Does it have to be sewn? Could you use a tag gun? I use an industrial Mark lll Buttoneer, and LOVE it. Very strong tags, and nearly invisible - 1/4" and 3/8" available.
Oooh! Interesting. Never heard of this. Do you fold/crease the ribbon and then use the tag gun where you would normally sew? I need to look into this!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Oooh! Interesting. Never heard of this. Do you fold/crease the ribbon and then use the tag gun where you would normally sew? I need to look into this!
Sorry, I don't make bows... I use my tag gun for professional home decor work. I own other kinds of guns (and tags), but use this the most because the tags are tiny and STRONG.

Do you have time to send me some ribbon scraps -- as many layers as you would be sewing? I'll shoot some tags and you can see for yourself before you buy a gun.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:56

Instead of sewing them together I use zip ties for the middle. You can get a pack of 100 for about $1.00-2.00 at any hardware store or wal-mart. They hold the bow together perfectly! With the thicker ribbon (layers and layers) use a pair of pliers to pull the zip tie tight.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57

can you sew them on a sewing machine? If you can, then just use a heavier needle, like one for leather or jeans.
When hand sewing through thick materials, I ussualy sit at or by a table so that I can use it to push the needle through instead of my fingers.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5girls View Post
When hand sewing through thick materials, I ussualy sit at or by a table so that I can use it to push the needle through instead of my fingers.
You could also try resting a cutting board on your lap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede View Post
I'll shoot some tags and you can see for yourself before you buy a gun.
I should mention that I have no idea if a tag gun will actually work, just that I'm really curious now. I need a life...
Old 06-16-2012, 06:32

Zip ties? Pliers? Sewing?! Oh my goodness... LOL I've never used any of those methods for my centers.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreCheerBows View Post
Zip ties? Pliers? Sewing?! Oh my goodness... LOL I've never used any of those methods for my centers.

Me either! i just use a small piece of ribbon to tie them. works great for me!

Find me on facebook at Pia Bows
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg