http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Cheer Bows

Cheer Bows Share your Cheer Bows Here! Show your Spirit!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:01

Default How about a critique?

Any feedback, constructive criticism, ooos, and/ or ahhhhhs would be greatly appreciated!

If you read my bow maker thread, you know some of my concerns. Let me know if they're legit or the concerns are in my head.

Thank you in advance :-)

PS - the bows are up for critiquing, my photography is not, lol. I know the pics are sub par, I just wanted to give ya'll an idea of the stuff I do :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ColorTouch-1339533758270.jpeg (96.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpeg ColorTouch-1339533930450.jpeg (113.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0614.jpg (38.1 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by SmashToTheLey; 06-12-2012 at 05:05.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 06-12-2012, 05:45

Default Re: How about a critique?

I think they look great! I love the 4th of July one!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:58

looks good!
question though.... when a girl wear one of these bows, does she wear it on top of her ponytail? How do you actually get them in without the rubberband flipping them underneath the ponytail? Just asking, because my girls don't wear hairbows very often, and I don't know how to put them in their hair.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5girls View Post
looks good!
question though.... when a girl wear one of these bows, does she wear it on top of her ponytail? How do you actually get them in without the rubberband flipping them underneath the ponytail? Just asking, because my girls don't wear hairbows very often, and I don't know how to put them in their hair.
They go on top of the ponytail. You put your daughter's hair in a very high ponytail (think unicorn LOL) with a regular ponytail holder. Then take the ponytail holder attached to the bow & loop the elastic under one loop of the ponytail's elastic and adjust the bow so that it is straight, then continue looping the elastic around the ponytail like a regular pony elastic goes in. By running it under one wrap of the ponytail it keeps the bow in place and from falling out during tumbling & stunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashToTheLey View Post
Any feedback, constructive criticism, ooos, and/ or ahhhhhs would be greatly appreciated!

If you read my bow maker thread, you know some of my concerns. Let me know if they're legit or the concerns are in my head.

Thank you in advance :-)

PS - the bows are up for critiquing, my photography is not, lol. I know the pics are sub par, I just wanted to give ya'll an idea of the stuff I do :-)
I think the quality of your bows look great. If you are going to be marketing them as "Cheer" bows I would suggest going for bigger bows with wider widths of ribbon. Most of the cheerleaders here wear 2.25" as small bows and 3" as their standard bows. This season alot of teams even went for the 4" bows! In cheer the bigger the bow the better!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:30

I also love the 4th of July one. I think what REALLY makes it POPS is that you used a different ribbon for the center. Looks GREAT !!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:57

I think you'd have a lot of fun adding a couple ribbons. I don't mean layering so much as making one big, fat, luscious ribbon out of several smaller oness. You can stripe a bow with different patterns that way. I've seen 2 ways to do this.
1) Use the E-6000 glue. It's pretty easy to figure out. Lay down the ribbon that's edge can be overlapped on a bit, lay down some glue along the edge (just a dab goes a long way, so I try to spread it nice and evenly thin with the nozzle of the glue), then lay the other ribbon down, smoothing as you go.

2) Lay the ribbons side by side and run them through the zig-zag stitch on your sewing machine. Then use heat bond to iron another ribbon over the seam.

I have tried 1, not 2. I really want to try to. 1 has it's cons for me, in that some times the glue can be seen through the top ribbon depending on what ribbon you chose. I think I'll try the sewing machine kind this weekend. I've heard if you want to get super fancy, you can use heat bond with the actual material from spandex dance outfits or cheer outfits to make it function like ribbon? I don't know how that's done. I think an actual squad would have to love me enough to pay for a specific group order of that before I'd do it.

Or my neice's soccer team. Anything for my neice's soccer team.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:11

Default :-)

Thank ya'll so much for the input & ideas.

@SqueakerBee, My sewing skills are still VERY beginner & I'm not familiar enough with my machine to get the proper tension for the zig zag stitch, it comes out a HOT mess so #2 is out & for #1, I have fallen in love with my Xyron Sticker Maker & that's how I layered those. I've seen where people have complained about it not sticking & I think they accidently got the repositionable & not the permanent adhesive tape. Before that, I had tried to use Fabric Fusion which was an EPIC fail because all it did was get hard :-/ Is the E-6000 flexible or does it harden as well?

Last edited by SmashToTheLey; 06-19-2012 at 02:29.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:07

they look great - I just wish that when there was writing on ribbon - that all of it would be readable...but of course they don't print it to our bow making lengths...
Old 06-19-2012, 05:44

Default Re: :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashToTheLey View Post
Thank ya'll so much for the input & ideas.

@SqueakerBee, My sewing skills are still VERY beginner & I'm not familiar enough with my machine to get the proper tension for the zig zag stitch, it comes out a HOT mess so #2 is out & for #1, I have fallen in love with my Xyron Sticker Maker & that's how I layered those. I've seen where people have complained about it not sticking & I think they accidently got the repositionable & not the permanent adhesive tape. Before that, I had tried to use Fabric Fusion which was an EPIC fail because all it did was get hard :-/ Is the E-6000 flexible or does it harden as well?
Well, if you're super-zealous, the globby parts of lots of glue will be stiff. Like I said, if you spread it (I recently used the tip of a toothpick with EXCELLENT results) to smear it nice and thin, it was flexible and great. Even just a smidge stiff enough to help give the bow some shape, which I like! The bow that I did that with, if you want to see, is on my etsy site. It's the one that's Dr Seuss one-fish-two-fish as a cheer style bow. (Because why can't grade school kids have their own cheer bows? I LOVE THOSE THINGS.)