printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Cheer Bows

Cheer Bows Share your Cheer Bows Here! Show your Spirit!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:41

Default Is Etsy worth it?

So I've recently started a bow website and am looking for ways to build up a customer base and gain exposure to my products. My mother is a very crafty person and tells me that Etsy is the place to go for things like this. But my question is, is Etsy worth it? I feel like there are quite a bit of fees to list/sell so I'm asking your opinions before I jump into anything. Any help is very much appreciated!

Sincerely,
Confused
Old 05-14-2012, 02:19

Default Re: Is Etsy worth it?

I would say that if you have something unique to offer, then go for it. When pricing your items, you would definately need to take into account the fees. But, you may want to check to see if there are already tons of products for sale that are similar to yours. It is extremely difficult to sell what is already out there.

The only other negative things about Etsy is it is a breeding ground for copycats. So even if you have unique products, be prepared to see someone copying your items within weeks....especially if people see that it is a big seller.

On a positive note, though, it is a good way to market your goods. You can sell on Etsy and then be sure to put a business card in the package when shipping that invites customers to shop on your website.
Hope that helps!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:24

At 20 cents a listing it is a pretty low risk. I am not saying that Etsy is for everyone but they do drive traffic to their site like none other! I would suggest budgeting $30 and trying out an experiment. BTW, I love Etsy.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:33

I just use a Facebook page

it's free
great for exposure
make photo albums with descriptions and prices next to picture
add friends first
ask that anyone who purchase your items tags you in a photo
you will have photo testimonials
accept paypal payments

this is how I have been doing it and it works amazing
Old 05-14-2012, 02:42

I agree. I do better with fb than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelaPoo2 View Post

it's free
great for exposure
add friends first
accept paypal payments

Old 05-14-2012, 08:21

For the people who use facebook..how do you get new customers to your page? Is there a search feature that people use when looking for hair accessories? I have not developed my FB page because I don't understand how I will get prospective customers to find and like my page. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:49

Etsy is a great way to get your name out there and get exposure, but it does take a lot of hard work to be a successful seller there. The fees are $0.20 per listing, and the listing will stay up for 4 months. Etsy also takes 3.5% + $0.20 of the final value; a great calculator to use to see how to price your items for Etsy is http://www.rolbe.com/etsy.htm

Good photos are key; you will also need to learn how to tag and title your listings correctly so you'll show up higher in the search.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
For the people who use facebook..how do you get new customers to your page? Is there a search feature that people use when looking for hair accessories? I have not developed my FB page because I don't understand how I will get prospective customers to find and like my page. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!
Yes you can search anything on facebook. go to the top and search bows and see how many pages pop up
Old 05-14-2012, 11:39

Quote:
Yes you can search anything on facebook. go to the top and search bows and see how many pages pop up
And people actually do this?? Wow, I am amazed!!! I would never think to search FB when I need a new headband for my daughter! LOL Ok. maybe I'll set a page up and hope people find me!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:50

I am considering an etsy site just to make it easier. I have a FB page and it works ok. I am having trouble with people seeing my posts and trying to get new fans. I have been doing contests but in checking NO one is seeing my posts. they see the pics I post but if it is just a word post, hardly anyone sees it!

I was thing etsy just to make it eaiser for people to buy and it looks professional, they seem confused on my FB ...

Quote:

it's free
great for exposure
add friends first
accept paypal payments

Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.