New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Cheer Bows

Cheer Bows Share your Cheer Bows Here! Show your Spirit!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:52

Default Re: Cricut Cutting Machine????

The Sizzix does cut spandex and sequin dot (sequin dot cuts better if adhered to heat & bond though). You have to use the original dies or the Bigz (thicker dies) and not the sizzlets. I havent tried the sizzlets yet though because they say those are for paper. Its expensive, but you can get custom dies made.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 03-08-2012, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach4gold View Post
The Sizzix does cut spandex and sequin dot (sequin dot cuts better if adhered to heat & bond though). You have to use the original dies or the Bigz (thicker dies) and not the sizzlets. I havent tried the sizzlets yet though because they say those are for paper. Its expensive, but you can get custom dies made.
Are you saying that this is how the star cut outs and things are added to the cheer bows? If so, now I have to reconsider because I was really about to buy the Silhouette machine. I guess I better research this machine first. I really want to be able to do the beautiful cheer bows like you guys *^_^*!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:21

This doesn't work...it does the same thing the cricut does....I have one and tried it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolegoodrich View Post
I am on the page right now reading about it! This might be exactly what I need! =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyndallsmom View Post
We are looking into a Silhouette Cameo...it is like the Cricut but you can cut any design from your computer, you don't have to have a cartridge. I have watched demos and it cuts fabric and felt easily...
Old 05-03-2012, 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah'sMommee View Post
I would suggest maybe the sizzix? I have a big kick and it cuts cotton fabric to satin fabric without any problem. Hth!
I have used the sizzix for felt and cotton - both work great!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:17

I have a silhouette and it only cut felt when the blade was brand new and super sharp AND the cutting mat was also new and sticky. I know I read somewhere either in the manual or on their website that you shouldn't use felt in the machine...After I used it a dozen or so times it didn't cut all the way through anymore. You also have to use heat and bond or some sort of interfacing ironed on to the back of any fabric that you cut. Anything stretchy like spandex/cotton knit gets chewed up in the machine and will be ruined even with the heat and bond on the back. A silhouette does best with stiffer paper and woven fabrics. I would use a regular die cut machine for stretchy materials because it punches the shape all at 1 time, less chance for shifting and chewing the material up.
Unless you are ok with having to replace the blade every week or so at $14 a piece (depending how often you are cutting things) then I would just get a sizzix or similar. The cutting mats also loose their stickiness when certain kinds of paper get stuck to them (like construction paper or other softer weight papers) and make them basically un-usable. I think felt on the cutting mat would have that same effect. Cutting mats are $20, so using the machine to cut felt would probably not be very cost effective.

Last edited by sugarplumfactory; 05-04-2012 at 09:21.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:41

I have a silhouette and I cut spandex with it all the time. I do use Heat-n-Bond on the fabric but I haven't had any problems with it. I also haven't had to replace the blades yet but I think I will need to after a few more uses. Ive had it since about November and made hundreds of cuts. So far Spandex is the only type of fabric I have cut with it.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowXtreme View Post
I have a silhouette and I cut spandex with it all the time. I do use Heat-n-Bond on the fabric but I haven't had any problems with it. I also haven't had to replace the blades yet but I think I will need to after a few more uses. Ive had it since about November and made hundreds of cuts. So far Spandex is the only type of fabric I have cut with it.
i have a silhouette as well that i use for vinyl and rhinestone templates. I have tired spandex fabric without heat and bond and it didnt work. Do you cut the spandex with the heat n bond side up or down? do you use a mat? what settings do you put your silhouette on? i want to try this but didnt have much success doing this with the slice cutter or cricut.

Find me on facebook at Pia Bows
Old 06-11-2012, 03:19

You can use the Cricut but you have to put it on the lowest speed and the lowest pressure. It does work...just takes patience. I know it works better if there is not a lot of little things it needs to cut out.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46

Tried cutting spandex with the silhouette today. I had my pressure setting all the way up with my speed on 2. I backed the spandex with the ultra hold heat and bond. I cut a star and "CHEER". The star cut out was perfect. the "CHEER" cut out didnt cut too well. I had to trim alot of it. Any tips or ideas on how i can fix this?

Find me on facebook at Pia Bows
Old 06-14-2012, 11:29

{snip}.." the "CHEER" cut out didnt cut too well. I had to trim alot of it. Any tips or ideas on how i can fix this? "

A couple of ideas:

Use your double cut function. I've found that with any intricate cuts and especially with small point true type fonts that it helps tremendously to double cut. Also try backing your speed down to 1, then go have a sandwich or glass of tea while you wait.

Fontwise, try out some of the LetteringDelights fonts by "scrapnfonts" in the online store. They tend to be chunkier and are designed as cutting files, so they often cut cleaner than many of theTTFs. There are TTFs that cute beautifully- I have a list of the better ones for cutting if you are interested.

Keep the mat sticky. If it's kinda crusty, try a lint roller, washing with dawn dishwashing soap and air drying, or resticking it with krylon easy tack.

Blades wear down with fabric super fast, far quicker than the six months or so I get with paper. Inspect it before every use to make sure it isn't chipped, and replace doubtful blades. If you have one that has never cut well, it may be defective. Silhouette is great about replacing bad blades if you suspect that's the problem.

And it all else fails: try using fabric transfer media. Works like a charm every single stinkin time, and is available in fab colors and patterns, even holographic. I've even used rubber stamps with heat embossing and gotten great results.

information overload, probably, but I hope it helps!

smiels,
regina
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif