New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > Cheer Bows

Cheer Bows Share your Cheer Bows Here! Show your Spirit!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:18

Default Snapping elastics

Hi,

I am a team Mom for a HS cheer team. I recently made cheer bows using the following technique:

I layered 3 grosgrain ribbons using heat-n-bond. I formed my loops, and pinched the center. Before I attached the clear zip-tie (or cable tie) to the center, I positioned an elastic hairband against the back of the bow, centered and pulled the zip-tie around the elastic to secure. I then wrapped ribbon around the center of the bow twice and secured with a few dabs of glue gun.

Can someone tell me why the elastics keep snapping? I paid more for the good quality elastics. Are the zip-ties too tight? I thought this was a really good idea because I dislike using glue ... then I have the elastic getting ripped off because it's not secure. I've had to repair 3 bows already.

I realize no one else I know uses this technique. Is it because the elastics are known to snap? Or are the girls pulling and tugging too hard? They are told to use a base elastic for their ponytail and then add the bow.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2012, 11:21

Default Re: Snapping elastics

The quality is decreasing on all the hair ties. No matter what brand I buy I seem to get complaints they are breaking. I stretch mine out to see if they break and I usually have to toss about 10 out of 60.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:41

That is the method I use as well. I haven't had too many broken bands lately, but I can tell you it typically is the same few girls whose keep breaking. Even though you tell them that they shouldn't stretch the bow elastic too much & they need a base pony holder etc...they don't listen. They pull and pull on it and it breaks.

Some quality is better than others. I have found the best quality to be from ribbon retreat. They are nice and thick and I haven't had a complaint about a broken pony since I switched to them a few months ago & I have sold about 500 bows using them without a complaint.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01

Another issue cheerleaders have when attaching a bow, is they believe the pony holder should hold their ponytail and the bow.

I find if you explain in a short note to use two or three pony holders to get the hair up in a ponytail before attaching the bow, there is less breakage.

If you find the pony holders are still breaking, you can always use a ribbon tie-in as another method for attaching the bow.

Good Luck!

Ann

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Old 02-15-2012, 03:07

elastics are a pain because of how many do snap however, I have found that the ones that can be ordered off line like RABOM has on their site and other "knock off" brand elastics, suck. I had ordered about 1000 from RABOM and when I received them I took one out and pulled on it as I always do, it snapped instantly. I tossed all of those elastics. Scuncii is the best IMO and I do not use anything else.

Also when attaching the elastics I always attach them with the seam of the elastic, opposite of the center wrap. This is so if/when an elastic snaps, the girls can tie their bows in their hair.

They are actually more secure and less likely to fall out if the bow is tied into the hair with elastics however I am not so sure customers would appreciate getting their orders with the elastics already snapped LOL.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:40

When she has a full up pony we probably use 4 before the bow goes in half up we use 2-3, and then when we do put in in I pull it to the base of all the elastics that are in and wrap, I have never had a bow fall out. It also makes them stand up perfectly while in the hair instead of flopping over.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07

I stitch my elastic to bow and the wrap center ribbon around rubber band and haven't had any fall apart
Old 02-15-2012, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerBowCouture View Post
elastics are a pain because of how many do snap however, I have found that the ones that can be ordered off line like RABOM has on their site and other "knock off" brand elastics, suck. I had ordered about 1000 from RABOM and when I received them I took one out and pulled on it as I always do, it snapped instantly. I tossed all of those elastics. Scuncii is the best IMO and I do not use anything else.

Also when attaching the elastics I always attach them with the seam of the elastic, opposite of the center wrap. This is so if/when an elastic snaps, the girls can tie their bows in their hair.

They are actually more secure and less likely to fall out if the bow is tied into the hair with elastics however I am not so sure customers would appreciate getting their orders with the elastics already snapped LOL.
I agree the ones from RABOM are HORRIBLE. I also attach my elastic with seams facing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBows View Post
When she has a full up pony we probably use 4 before the bow goes in half up we use 2-3, and then when we do put in in I pull it to the base of all the elastics that are in and wrap, I have never had a bow fall out. It also makes them stand up perfectly while in the hair instead of flopping over.
You are putting your bows in properly, unfortunately the majority of girls (especially the HS ones here) do not even when you give them written instructions with their bows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgapch View Post
I stitch my elastic to bow and the wrap center ribbon around rubber band and haven't had any fall apart
Unfortunately the problem isn't them falling apart it is the bow and elastic staying together and the elastic snapping in half still attached which isn't something we can fix with out bow making skills LOL
Old 02-23-2012, 01:05

I use thick crochet thread to tie up my bows just the way you use your zip tie to attach the elastic. Then I use hot glue to attach the center wrap over top of it.
All elastics stink, so I now use the seamless nylon kind - its like a pantyhose material. You have to look closely at the package to find them, but all pharmacies have them as well as target and walmart. They are a bit more slippery and more prone to come out of the hair but that can be fixed by putting another elastic on after you put the bow in.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg