View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 05:19
Default Re: "I wouldn't buy something that's been lying on the floor"

Originally Posted by LittleTrends View Post
That's funny. They "know" they're not getting the bow on someone's head, yet they think they are getting the bow on the floor?! Lol. In any case, this thread just goes to show how people perceive things, and I think this has helped a lot of us. Thanks Maxine!
I thought the same thing as's a contradiction, really - they think they aren't getting the one that's been on someone's kid's head (when many times, they really ARE) but yet they think that the bows on the "dirty floor" are the ones they'll be getting. BUT, it isn't about what is technically right or wrong, it's about customer perception.

This insight is invaluable. Seriously!!

And I was really wondering about what they would think about the modeled bows. Glad to know the outcome. Even though you've got a small sample size, Maxine, your study is probably extremely accurate to our target market as a whole.

Funny thing is, even when I list something with just a quick photo of the bow in my daughter's hair - no fancy backgrounds, no pettiskirts or props or anything, I get more views, hearts and sales than when I just do a plain white background product photo. People like to be able to picture the item in use, I think.

Originally Posted by EmileeDesigns View Post
SO, would these be no nos to the dance mommies

Nevermind I took off the links bc I didn't want to hurt anyone feelings IF it was their etsy I posted... BUT below are some of my own pics that may not fly since Maxine new study!

Thought this was a super cute way to photo clips! Sorry it this is yours and now we're all going to copy your photog skills!
Yeah, those photos don't do it for me. Very artistic, nicely done, but to me the out of context-ness of it, is a put off.

When my Mom started looking around at knit and crochet items on Etsy, she told me a lot of people hang their items in trees and lay them on bushes, and I was thinking, what in the world are they doing that for?!

Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
Interesting, I would have thought part of the appeal was knowing exactly what you were getting.

I don't know, seems to me that a lot of the most popular and busy Etsy stores are ones with really high quality professional "stock photos" of their items and they list them as "your item will be similar to the one shown, blah blah blah and custom made for you"....

But I also see some stores that do well, with the appeal of having the exact item photographed, ready to ship.

For most of the hair bows and headbands, though, you can remake from the model, and expect it to come out almost identical.
Sponsored Links