View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 08:53
Default Re: I just ruined 5 yards of korker ribbon

Originally Posted by Krysia View Post
It's not your fault.

I have issues with light colored prints (white, etc.) on bright (red) or dark colored (dark green, black, etc.) ribbon. The underlying color will bleed through (i.e. your black bled through the white and pink dots making them gray. Turn down your oven temp. I usually starch and bake bows & korkers at 250 degrees for 25 minutes. If I have prints that fall in the above categories (like yours), I starch and bake at 220 degrees for 20 minutes. That fixes the problem. The prints tend to be some kind of vinyl/paint/I don't know what, but baking it at higher temps can cause the decorative print (dot, etc.) to thin, which lets the underlying color show through.

I had the same thing happen to me with some St. Patrick's Day ribbon. It was dark green with little white shamrocks. Starched & baked at normal temps, the little white shamrocks turned pastel green. Lowered the oven temp, starched and baked again, no problems...
Thanks for making me feel somewhat good about myself again hon (((hugs!))) I will definitely turn down the temp of my oven (electric) like you and the other girls have suggested. Maybe that will help! Keep your fingers crossed for me, ok?

Originally Posted by MissPrissGifts View Post
I set the oven at 200 for 20 minutes. I do spray with starch before baking. I sew them and then starch again.
I didn't spray them with starch the 2nd time because they went straight into the garbage lol

Originally Posted by Blingmom View Post
I do 220 for 15 - 20 minutes. Always comes out perfect, but you have to figure out what's right for your stove. I have a gas stove and that does it for me.
I have to say, I do love living in Florida but man I MISS my gas stove!! I'm going to turn down the heat, thanks Blingmom

Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
I wonder if altitude has something to do with it. I use Faultless starch and soak my ribbon with it then cook it in the over for about 20 minutes at 275. I am in south Texas. My korkers I made for my dds several years ago are still stiff.

I did not read everyone's posts but I know that sometimes the UB, HL, and YAMA ribbon will bleed. Not sure if you are using any of it.
Well, I'm at sea level.. do you think that might have something to do with it? You know Ronnie, I have no idea where this particular ribbon came from. I think I bought it on ebay and I have no idea where they got their supply from. You could be right.. it could be from UB, HL or YAMA.

Originally Posted by paula123 View Post
sorry girl, we don't use starch on ours either, but i have purchased some that i have to starch when i get them so they stay pretty all the time!

I wish i had an answer for you though! we also use a gas oven and not an electric one, i wonder if that makes a difference?
Maybe it is the oven? I would think electric tends to be a dryer heat? Is that possible?

Originally Posted by khofkamp View Post
I have this problem with printed ribbon as well.

Arrrgh.. misery loves company (((hugs))). Sorry it's happening to you too Krista

Originally Posted by amberry View Post
I never starch my korkers anymore. Too many run colors.

I spin them onto the dowel and bake them completely dry. Let them cool completely before taking off the dowel. Put them all together and then lightly mist with hairspray.

Bummer about your ruined ribbon. I absolutely HATE that.
Me too! Plus, it was all I had in that particular pattern! So all of it is now wasted

Originally Posted by HaleyGrace View Post
I dont spray or starch mine. They do just fine. Just roll and bake for 20 minutes!
Well, that's what I used to do. Then, I thought I'd start starching and baking. Guess I need to rethink that! lol