View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40
Default Re: I just ruined 5 yards of korker ribbon

Originally Posted by bdgear View Post
I find that occasionally some ribbons just don't like to be wet--I make lots of korkers and I always cook them dry--275 for 25 min then I take them out of the oven--turn the oven off, spray them well with starch from a can and pop them back in the oven for 5 min--since they are hot the starch doesn't really have a chance to get really wet and make the colors run. Also, I use specific sticks for white and light ribbon, some for red and some for dark colors to keep colors from transferring.
I never really had a problem when I baked them dry. But these last 2 times (water mist + starch solution) were complete messes.

Originally Posted by taxiof2 View Post
I did some last night. There was a thread on here from someone who has beautiful korkers. She sprays them with starch from a can. Makes them wet. Then puts them in the oven at 275 for 20 mins. I did it exactly as she said and they came out great. I do put them in a big pan that is lined with foil. I actually put mine in for 30 mins. I did them at 350 also and no problems.
Sounds like info from Keri (she has fabulous korkers). I haven't tried her method yet... but I'm hesitant to ruin another batch of korkers.

Originally Posted by jtgarrido View Post
I spray mine, bake at 215 for about twenty minutes and don't have a problem. However, some ribbons just fade, I'm thinking this is the case, and that you didn't do anything wrong. I will never use UB ribbon again, it stained all my dowel rods so that I wasn't able to use them on light colored ribbon. So maybe it's just the ribbon, I bought some hearts at Michaels that also did that,
I *wish* I could remember where I got this ribbon from. But you know what? It happened with the last batch as well and I know the ribbon wasn't from the same source. I've never ordered from UB so thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by taxiof2 View Post
Here is the post. Hers are gorgeous. She is very helpful.
Thanks hon!

Originally Posted by sbwolfer View Post
I don't usually put anything on my ribbon at all and I never have trouble with discoloring unless I've done something like red on a dowel and then I try to do a light color on it.

I have korkers that I made well over a year ago and they are still perfectly korked.
Mine are all still perfectly korked too.. and some of them are 25 years old! But you know, I never starched them back then. It's just recently that I'm trying different methods based of what I've read/learned here on hg.

Originally Posted by KeriHallman View Post
I haven't had any problems like this. hmmm.... I have had fading on my dowels that will transfer on to my ribbon. So all my reds and dark colors use the same dowels and my pastels and light colors use different ones.
Hey boss, I just don't know what to do anymore

Originally Posted by Libby77 View Post
Thats what I was going to say... I am sorry this happened to you!
(((hugs))) Thanks Libby

Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Lower your oven temp. I have this same problem with dots or printed ribbon. I bake mine at 260 for around 20-25 mins for dots and prints.

Also, check your oven temp. Get a meat thermometer and use it to check your oven temp. It may just be hotter than its supposed to be!
Hey girl, thanks for the advice. It might be the oven temp but I think it's probably more the ribbon coming in contact with water or the starch solution.

Originally Posted by elly760 View Post
sorry to hear this happended!!! i spray them with heavy duty starch and pop them in the oven at 275 degrees...i sometimes forget that they are there (like right now) and i have never had an issue with them UNLESS i put white ribbon on my dowels that i use for red or black ribbon it does bleed through...i dont even use a baking sheet/pan i just throw them in there...the only thing i make sure of is that my reds/blacks dont touch my lighter ribbons even in the oven...try just a small piece of ribbon at different degrees, some ovens are hotter than others OR you can also use a toaster oven at the lowest temp!
These were all black printed ribbons on new dowels The ribbon just doesn't seem colorfast to me.

Originally Posted by Sydsmomma View Post
I always have a problem with white dots on any color like red with white dots the dots end up pink. So I just dont even attempt those anymore.
I get dowels for red and black ribbon so it doesnt bleed on my light colors.
I'm thinking I'm going to have to give up dots too

Originally Posted by mysunshineboutique View Post
we dont use starch. Sorry they got ruined
Thanks hon. I probably won't be using it again either lol