View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:01
Default Re: What do all those little numbers mean? Post 2: Shutter Speed

Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I have a Cannon Powershot SX100 IS and all I know how to do is apply the outdoor, indoor settings and use macro. I wish I knew more. I am wanting a new camera that will offer me great shots but I guess I need to learn how to use this one (had it for years) to its full potential.
That camera is definitely enough to teach you how to have more control of the settings before you spend the money on something more advanced!

If you want to dip your toes in the water, so to speak, you can start slowly. One great way to do that, is to shoot in Aperture Priority mode. In that mode, you set what aperture you want to shoot at, and the camera will choose which shutter speed should go with it. You can take note of which shutter speeds it chooses and see how the pictures come out.

Another way is to put it in manual mode (scary at first, I know!) and just pick an aperture. Then play around with changing the shutter speeds until you get the look you want. Shoot both inside and out and just have fun and see what happens!

ISO has a hand in all of this as well, and I'll be getting my post up about that sometime later this week, so be on the lookout for it!
On a leave of absence.