View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 10:49
Default Re: funky bow tutorial!

What part of Maxine's post are you agreeing with and what part are you disagreeing with? If you agree that, in principle, members/posters can generally "post a link to a free tutorial" then I don't understand why you go on to ask: "Is it fair for the OP (any OP not just this one) to post the link in the same thread?"

I think we can all agree that it would be in poor taste for someone to post a competing paid tutorial and perhaps even a free tutorial that was competing in the sense that it was directing traffic to the creator's site. But in this case it seems pretty clear that the OP was heavily inspired by a 12 step tutorial made available to everyone for no other reason than to help members of a community, in the spirit of generosity.

I can't say it is wrong of anyone to build on that information and try and make some money off of it, but it certainly isn't wrong for anyone to notice where that information originated from ... and to point that out to others. After all, maybe they'd like to make a paid tutorial too.

BTW, OP usually refers to the "Opening Post" or perhaps the "Opening Poster".

Originally Posted by SerendipityBoutique View Post
I agree with this. I bought the tut right after she released it, before I knew there was a free one. Now here is my question(Just a question) Is it fair for the OP (any OP not just this one) to post the link in the same thread?
Originally Posted by Maxine
This is just my opinion...

but if someone posts a tut for sale, others have every right to post a link to a free tutorial as well. What's fair for one is fair for another.

This community is about sharing ideas, suggestions, photos, etc. Sharing information regarding any type of tut just falls under the heading of common courtesy.