View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 07:39
Default Re: Cheer Bows - Most popular style?? Help!!!

Originally Posted by CKane View Post
I have a middle school cheerleading squad that's asked me to come up with a sample for them.. They want to outfit the squad w/new bows! Help! I've not done any before... so I am not sure what is the most popular style for cheer squads?? Please and thank you!

TIA for your help!!!
I believe the most popular style of cheer bow these days is the tails down bow. If not sure how to make, I agree with the NoBowNoGo tutorial. Super easy and inexpensive.

As far as styles these days....that's a tough one. There is a design floating around called the "Tic Toc", I believe it was originated at There are no instructions on this site for it. I believe you'd kinda have to play with it to make your own pattern. I haven't had a moment to try it yet, but the bow looks super fun.

I have used a lot of sequins and zebra print this year. Sequin fabric can be found at Joanns (in limited colors here in NY), or has a huge assortment of colors and their prices are reasonable.

If looking for Spandex (another popular material for bow making), you should check out

Not knowing what team colors you are working with, makes it a little difficult for suggestion. If you want to share, I'd be happy to help you out best I could.

My DDs team colors are garnet and yellow gold. One would think they would be easy to match. I wish that were the case. I have attached a couple of bows that I have made for some programs this season. Hope this helps.

As far as ribbon goes, my minimum width I use for a cheer bow base is 2 1/4". For high school girls, they may want to go even bigger than that. has a great selection of 3" ribbon that makes a huge bow, but I just love it. The pic with the 3" is the one of my daughter in hers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BkGl Polka.jpg (37.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Mitey Mite.jpg (36.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Pee Wee.jpg (32.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Meg - Closeup.jpg (13.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Gaga Bow.jpg (67.5 KB, 89 views)