View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:50

Talking Re: Singed flower help

The purple I got from Wal-mart of all places and I know you guys won't believe me but the solid is Sateen and the sheer is some type of Nylon that matched. Both are not supposed to be used, but I bought it when I couldn't remember which fabrics I was supposed to get. It works awesomely (so far). I've also used Organza and didn't have a problem either. I thought I would try Satin because the tut said it had good shape and I wanted something with a little more shine. Oh my goodness was it way more expensive. I also got more Nylon fabric at Joanns that has a beautiful shimmer and since I had good results with my Wal-mart Nylon fabric, but the Joanns fabric melts very easily so I have to be really careful.

Maybe I need to try to hold the material closer to the flame and not so much over the flame. The satin gets soooo hot and it takes quite a bit of heat to get it to do anything.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brezzamagoo View Post
What did you use in the first pictures because those purple ones are gorgeous!?! I usually find I have problems more with the organza going into holes.

What I do with the satin is usually go around the edge to begin with and melt it all and it will curl up slightly. Then I go around again picking bits and pieces to singe somemore. How far away from the flame are you? I find the closer to the flame I hold the material the more control I have, if I hold it up higher then the material will kinda melt and shape really quickly...