Thread: What do I need?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 10:21
Default Re: What do I need?

Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Sounds like you have a good start. Make sure your glue gun is a high temp and the glue sticks you're using are for metal. It'll say it on the package.

How are you tying the bows? needle thread? Wire? Elastic thread? Many different options, I sew all mine but that's not the only way.

Get a candle lighter or BBQ lighters they're great for sealing the ends.

Alligator clips work great, little snap clips are nice too for babies.

As for the crystals - don't have a lot of advice. Gemtac or E6000 works well, I don't have hotfix but I know several ladies on here do. If they're for a baby or small toddler you may want to be careful because if they can pull it out and get it into their mouth the stones could come off and swallowed. The swaroski crystals do contain lead.

A good pair of scissors. I can't stress this enough because I had no idea when I started how bad my scissors were until I bought a good pair of Gingher. Great use of the coupons from Joann's or Hobby Lobby!

Depending on what size of bows you're wanting to make would depending on the ribbon size. Definitely browse the how to thread to see if you like a certain style. I would recommend starting on grosgrain. Satin and sheer can be hard to work with starting out depending on the style of bow.

Good luck!!
Wow, so glad you said that! I had no idea.

Thanks for all the great advice. I have a 40% off one item coupon for Michael's so I will save that for the scissors or maybe a new glue gun.