View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 04:56
Default Re: Copyright Issues When Making Bottle Caps?

Originally Posted by jyoung434 View Post
This is not true. I contacted Penn State's licensing department to ask about this, and they said that I couldn't sell something made with Penn State fabric unless I was licensed. Here is the email thread:

Hi there. I have a small business selling hair accessories online and at a couple of local State College stores. I found some licensed Penn State ribbon and wanted to purchase it to make hair bows; however I am unclear on the policies surrounding using a licensed product to create another item for resale. If I were to used licensed ribbon (or fabric, such as that you can purchase at Wal-Mart or Joann Fabrics) to create a unique item, would it be okay to resell it if I included a disclaimer that stated that the item was created using licensed ribbon (or fabric) but I am in no way affiliated with the University, etc.?

Dear Jennifer:

Thank you for your inquiry.

In order to become licensed for Penn State you must first contact The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC), who serves as our licensing agent. They can be reached at 770.956.0520 or you can also visit them online at They will get you started with the application process, which is the first step to becoming licensed. You will also be required to meet certain insurance requirements and disclose where your products are being produced.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance or you may also visit our web site at

Thank you for your interest in Penn State.

Hi Robin, thanks for your quick reply. So just to make sure I understand this correctly, you must be licensed by the University even if you just want to use an already license product such as ribbon or fabric to create a new product for resale, is that correct?

Jennifer -
Yes - that is correct. Let us know if you have any other questions.

I am not messing around with this. With my luck, I would be the one who gets sued.
Like you said, its probably not even get in between a law sued and have to be involved in that mess; however, this seems to me just like t Precious Moments v. La Infantil Inc. where La Infantil Inc was allowed to used the Precious moment fabric to make children bedding.
Look it up here:
Now, do you want to or are willing to fight back if contacted by the company/sport group? I know I don't have the time or really want to fight to show I have the right to do so, which is why I'll try as much as possible to stay away from it. But I think that legally, you should be able to use the ribbon/fabric. Just my 2 cents