Thread: Tutu best tulle
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 04:03
Default Re: Tutu best tulle

Originally Posted by BeyondStitches View Post
For those of you in the tutu business, what's your favorite tulle to work with (if there is a difference in any)? Where do you get it? I don't sell tutus as I don't enjoy working with tulle plus it takes me all morning to make just one. I do like to give them out as gifts! I've been using the tulle rolls that you find at hobby lobby for $4.99 or at gift international for about $1.50. It's not that soft.
I see a lot of people selling tutus for $5-$20 and I always ask myself, "how can they possible make money selling at those prices?" That only covers supplies. So, what's the secret? Where do you get the tulle and how long did it take you to get the hang of it and make one in half an hour. It takes me an hour just to cut the tulle, LOL and another one to wrap the ribbon around the waist
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I get my tulle from a few different places. I really like Joann's tulle on the 6" spool ($2.99/ea). I use wedding tulle, as I find it is the softest. I also buy from ($1.99/ea) and ($1.89/ea). I really like the color options and the quality. I personally couldn't sell a tutu for under $15. I use about 3 rolls of tulle per tutu, depending on size & lenght.

It took me only a couple tutus to get them the way I like them. I do them tied on ribbon and elastic ones. Cutting takes me about 10/15 minutes. I use a small paper cutter. The kind you'd use for photos. It's about 10" long and 4" wide w/ a plastic arm that comes down over it and then you press & slide the cutter and it takes about .5 seconds.
Hope that helps!

Ashley (Newbie to HG)