Thread: Kufi hats???
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 08:26

Default Re: Kufi hats???

Since so many people wanted this I decided to just post this I hope it's not too long. I must tell you though this is not my original pattern it is one I found online I can't remember where though to give this person credit. I did have a change to this pattern to make my hats come out the right size I used an H size hook instead of a J or I like the pattern calls for. I also found that the 18 month size really fits up to a 3 yr old and the 24 month old fit a 3 to 5 year old at least when I crocheted it.

Kufi Hat

Notes:
Sizes conform to 'standardized' ASTM sizes. So they should fit the following head girths:
Preemie: 13.75"
NB: 15"
3-6M: 16.625-17.625"
9-12M: 18.125-18.625"
18M: 19.125"
24M: 20"

I used worsted weight yarn when I made my hats.

Use Hook J for all sizes except preemie which uses Hook I

Very last row will be done with Hook I for all sizes except preemie which uses Hook H.

This pattern is worked in the round with NO slip stitch connecting end of round with beginning, except as noted.

Gauge - preemie: 2" = 10 SC; 1" = 5 rows
Gauge - all other sizes: 2" = 8 SC; 1" = 4 rows

SC = single crochet
DC = double crochet

All sizes are worked the same for the first 9 rounds. After 9 rounds, skip to the direction for the size you want:

Chain 2
Round:

1: 6 SC in second chain from hook.
2: 2 SC in each stitch from round one. (12 SC)
3: * 1 SC in first stitch from round 2, 2 SC in second stitch, repeat from * around. (18 SC)
4: * 1 SC in first 2 stitches from round 3, 2 SC in third stitch, repeat from * around. (24 SC)
5: * 1 SC in first 3 stitches from round 4, 2 SC in fourth stitch, repeat from * around. (30 SC)
6: * 1 SC in first 4 stitches, 2 SC in fifth stitch, repeat from * around. (36 SC)
7: * 1 SC in first 5 stitches, 2 SC in sixth stitch, repeat from * around. ( 42 SC)
8: * 1 SC in first 6 stitches, 2 SC in seventh stitch, repeat from * around. ( 48 SC)
9: * 1 SC in first 7 stitches, 2 SC in eighth stitch around, repeat from * around. (54 SC)

Preemie:
Round 10: Chain 3 (this is equivalent to first DC). In next stitch, 3 DC. *Skip 3 stitches. In fourth stitch from previous shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 11 more times. Skip 3 stitches. In fourth stitch from previous shell, 2 DC. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch.
Rounds 11-13: Slip stitch in first two stitches from chain. Chain 3 (this is a equivalent to a DC). In the space between the 2nd and 3rd DC of the shell stitch, 3 DC. *In the space between 2nd and 3rd DC of next shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 11 more times. In last half-shell, 2 DC in the space between. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch.
Rounds 14-16: SC even in each stitch, 54 stitches
Round 17. Switch to hook H. SC even in each stitch, 54 stitches. Connect to first stitch of row with a slip stitch. Secure and hide yarn end.

NB:
Rounds 10-11: SC even in each stitch, 54 stitches in each round.
Round 12: Chain 3 (this is equivalent to first DC). In next stitch, 3 DC. *Skip 3 stitches. In fourth stitch from previous shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 11 more times. Skip 3 stitches. In fourth stitch from previous shell, 2 DC. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch.
Rounds 13-15: Slip stitch in first two stitches from chain. Chain 3 (this is a equivalent to a DC). In the space between the 2nd and 3rd DC of the shell stitch, 3 DC. *In the space between 2nd and 3rd DC of next shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 11 more times. In last half-shell, 2 DC in the space between. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch.
Rounds 16-18: SC even in each stitch, 54 stitches.
Round 19. Switch to hook I. SC even in each stitch, 54 stitches. Connect to first stitch of row with a slip stitch. Secure and hide yarn end.

3-6M:
Round 10: * 1 SC in first 8 stitches, 2 SC in ninth stitch around, repeat from * around. (60 SC).
Rounds 11-13: SC even in each stitch, 60 stitches in each round.
Round 14: Chain 3 (this is equivalent to first DC). In next stitch, 3 DC. *Skip 3 stitches. In fourth stitch from previous shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 13 more times. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch.
Rounds 15-17: Slip stitch in first two stitches from chain. Chain 3 (this is a equivalent to a DC). In next stitch, 3 DC. *In the space between 2nd and 3rd DC of next shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 13 more times. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch.
Rounds 18-20: SC even in each stitch, 60 stitches.
Round 21. Switch to hook I. SC even in each stitch, 60 stitches. Connect to first stitch of row with a slip stitch. Secure and hide yarn end.

9-12M:
Round 10: * 1 SC in first 8 stitches, 2 SC in ninth stitch around, repeat from * around. (60 SC).
Round 11: * 1 SC in first 9 stitches, 2 SC in tenth stitch around, repeat from * around. (66 SC).
Rounds 12-15: SC even in each stitch, 66 stitches in each round.
Round 16: Chain 3 (this is equivalent to first DC). In next stitch, 3 DC. *Skip 3 stitches. In fourth stitch from previous shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 14 more times. Skip 3 stitches. In fourth stitch from previous shell, 2 DC. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch.
Rounds 17-19: Slip stitch in first two stitches from chain. Chain 3 (this is a equivalent to a DC). In next stitch, 3 DC. *In the space between 2nd and 3rd DC of next shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 14 more times. In last half-shell, 2 DC in the space between. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch..

Rounds 20-22: SC even in each stitch, 66 stitches.
Round 23. Switch to hook I. SC even in each stitch, 66 stitches. Connect to first stitch of row with a slip stitch. Secure and hide yarn end.

18M:
Round 11: * 1 SC in first 9 stitches, 2 SC in tenth stitch around, repeat from * around. (66 SC).
Round 12: * 1 SC in first 10 stitches, 2 SC in eleventh stitch around, repeat from * around. (72 SC).
Rounds 13-17: SC even in each stitch, 72 stitches in each round.
Round 18: Chain 3 (this is equivalent to first DC). In next stitch, 3 DC. *Skip 3 stitches. In fourth stitch from previous shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 16 more times. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch.
Rounds 19-21: Slip stitch in first two stitches from chain. Chain 3 (this is a equivalent to a DC). In next stitch, 3 DC. *In the space between 2nd and 3rd DC of next shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 16 more times. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch.
Rounds 22-24: SC even in each stitch, 72 stitches.
Round 25. Switch to hook I. SC even in each stitch, 72 stitches. Connect to first stitch of row with a slip stitch. Secure and hide yarn end.

24M:
Round 12: * 1 SC in first 10 stitches, 2 SC in eleventh stitch around, repeat from * around. (72 SC).

Round 13: * 1 SC in first 11 stitches, 2 SC in 12th stitch around, repeat from * around. (78 SC).
Rounds 14-18: SC even in each stitch, 78 stitches in each round.
Round 19: Chain 3 (this is equivalent to first DC). In next stitch, 3 DC. *Skip 3 stitches. In fourth stitch from previous shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 17 more times. Skip 3 stitches. In fourth stitch from previous shell, 2 DC. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch.
Rounds 20-22: Slip stitch in first two stitches from chain. Chain 3 (this is a equivalent to a DC). In next stitch, 3 DC. *In the space between 2nd and 3rd DC of next shell, 4 DC. Repeat from * 17 more times. In last half-shell, 2 DC in the space between. Join to beginning of row, at the third chain stitch with a slip stitch.
Rounds 23-25: SC even in each stitch, 78 stitches.
Round 26. Switch to hook I. SC even in each stitch, 78 stitches. Connect to first stitch of row with a slip stitch. Secure and hide yarn end.