Thread: Monogram Bows
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 04:23
Default Re: Monogram Bows

Originally Posted by shelby2000 View Post
I'm monogramming bows, right now. LOL! From trial and error I've learned a few things I can share. Someone else may have better pointers than I have, but this is what has helped me. They aren't in any order. I just typed them as they popped into my head.
  1. Use iron-on tear away stabilizer, or like I've been doing lately, use a cutaway stabilizer and a temporary adhesive.
    • Disclaimer (LOL!): I have been using Craft Bond spray adhesive since I'm out of the Sulky KK 2000 temporary adhesive and I kind of like it better because it holds really well.
  2. Use a size 8 or 9 needle it really helps prevents puckering and gives you a nice clean stitch.
  3. Size your design to fit your ribbon. I bet you're like, "Um, duh!" Hehehe! When I embroider on 1.5" ribbon I size my design/font to about 1.20-1.30" wide and 7/8" ribbon I size my design/font to .72-.75" wide.
  4. If you can adjust your machine's speed, set it to the lowest speed you can. My machine has two speed options, 650SPM or 350SPM, and I choose 350SPM.
  5. You don't have to hoop your ribbon (I don't), but you can if you would like.
  6. I use Embird to edit my designs and it's worth the investment:
  7. Once your design is on your machine (my machine connects to my computer) just adjust your design to the position you want it on your ribbon and BAM, start stitching.
  8. Avoid designs that have dense stitch patterns. It will just eat up your ribbon and no amount of stabilizer will combat that.
  9. You'll need a sharp pair of small curved scissors for cutting the jump threads and starting threads on your design. The straight ones will make you all frustrated. I have these:$pd300$ and I got them at Walmart.
  10. Let your machine sew a few stitches, pause it, cut the starting thread, then start your machine again. This will stop your starting thread from sewing all wonky into your design. Then, you'll have to fish out that thread and that's no fun.
  11. An Xacto knife is a good tool to have, too. You can snop one end of tiny jump threads that are too small for your scissor's blade to cut and then use your scissors to cut the other end.
I've probably overkilled it on all the info. If I think of anything else I'll post it for you.

What she said lol!