View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 10:05
Default Re: ATTN Photographers, advice/tips please!

Originally Posted by jennaro11 View Post
Definitely start using manual mode and if you only got "kit" lenses you will probably need to get a 50 like stated above.

What time of day were you shooting at? She has really harsh shadows on her face. You would want to try and avoid that. It's better to try and shoot in the morning or later afternoon when the sun is not so harsh.

You could also go buy foam board (i think that's what it's called) to reflect the light to her face. If the sun is to her back and you put the board in front of her the light should reflect on her face and brighten it up a bit. The board is acting as a reflector.

If you really want to take it to the next level you could do a custom white balance.

If i could go back and learn things over i would definitely try and learn these things (you can do it all through googling)
1. manual mode for your camera
2. learning how to get correct exposure
3. white balance
4. reflecting light

Hope this helps!
Are you talking about regular foam board you get at Walmart or someplace like that, its in the paper supply section?
My lenses say 18-50mm and 50-200mm. Is one of those what I need? LOL I feel like I'm speaking a different language talking about this stuff.
I'll be googling tonight for sure!