View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 04:33
Default Beginner's Bow Making Starter Kit

So, you want to start making bows, but have no idea where to start. Or, you've read the forums and you're saying to yourself, "What the heck does NBNG stand for?; What in blue blazes is a Gator Bite?; How in the world do you bake a bow?" LOL! I think I can help. Here is a list of things that I've seen people ask about. I hope it helps. You will find lots of help here on Hip Girl. So, if you have any questions, just ask. Woohoo!
  1. Templates:
    1. NGNB (No Bow No Go) templates; also called TNT (Top Notch Templates). These are the templates and instructions I have and can attest to their awesomeness:
    2. Brilliant Bowmaker bow making system. I haven't used this set, but I've heard good things about it:
    3. DIY templates: (scroll to the bottom of the page)
  2. Gator Bite:
  3. Useful Tools:
  4. Starchin' and a bakin' - this method is great for making your bows AWESOME. You can squoosh them, put them in your purse or whatever trauma bows go through and they will spring back to life and not get wrinkled.
    1. Spray your bows with starch of your choice. Sta Flo is the most popular.
    2. Bake bows at 275 degrees for 25 minutes. These variables can vary. I've seen different degrees and minutes posted, but this works for me.
    3. Great tip I've learned is to place your bows in the freezer for a few minutes to set them or just let them cool at room temperature.
    4. You can also spray them once again after you've baked them. I don't, but you may want to.
  5. To sew or not to sew! This is a matter of preference. I tie my bows and I use the Gator Bite. It's worked out great for me, so far.
  6. Tutorials:
    1. Video tutorials from
    2. Tutorial blog that has lots of great tutorials and info:
    3. Here are the tutorials they have:
      1. How To Make A Hair Bow
      2. Stacking Hair Bows
      3. Make A Layered Hair Bow
      4. How To Make Korker Bows
      5. Make A Surrounding Loop For Your Hair Bows
      6. Attaching Barrettes or Clips To Your Hair Bows
      7. Applying A Center Knot To Your Hair Bow
      8. Make Double Loop Toppers
      9. Making Hair Bow Accent Spikes
      10. Easy Pinwheel Bows
      11. Ribbon Woven Headbands
      12. Six Ribbon Woven Headbands
      13. How To Line An Alligator Clip
      14. Make a Beanie Cap
      15. How To Make A Silk Flower Barrette
      16. Tie A Cheerleader Bow
  7. Suppliers I've used:
This is in no way an exhaustive list of things you need to get started. I will add to it as I think of things. If any of my fellow Hip Girls have any other info to add, please feel free to do so.
Happy bow-making!

Last edited by shelby2000; 01-11-2010 at 08:28.
Sponsored Links