View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 02:45

Default Re: seasoned twisted boutique makers, INOA!!!

Answers in PInk . Although, I must say that this is my method, and like you, I may not use the "proper" method. There is no one right way, so choose what works for you and toss out what doesn't. My method is a potpourri of what I like from all of the free knowlege I've gained over the past few years (and I tossed out what I thought was pointless ). I've never paid for any of the expensive, well-guarded secrets lol. I'll be interested to see what the other gals say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpj58 View Post
I have seen so many bows lately that I am in awe of and I really want to step up my bow making game! When I started making bows I had no idea that forms, directions or templates even existed, therefore, I would purchase a bow and take it apart, then reproduce it. So I guess I don't really know the "proper" techniques for assembling them. I just have a few questions....(*you can kick me if I am missing them on a search somewhere..LOL!)
I want to try making some of these on templates. It takes me seriously an hour to complete a layered twisted w/ spikes. What would you say the best template set would be for this type of bow? Home made Or the templates from Ribbonheaven! Second question is; when you are layering the ribbon, ie. 1.5" solid w/ 7/8" solid, w/ 3/8 dots on top of that, (is this making sense?) what do you use to fuse the ribbon w/out it rippling when you twist the bow? Heat N Bond Lite
OK, one last thing.....do you bake it after it is tied (if so, what temp)? If so , do you starch it first? Yes. Douse with sta-flo (laundry starch in the big, blue jug 50-50 mixed with water), put on a parchment lined cookie sheet ( so the metal or carbon on the sheet does not discolor your bow). Then bake at whatever temp & time you bake your korkers at. I do 260 for 20 min.
Thanks so much for helping me learn the "real" art of making bows