View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:34
Default Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Originally Posted by mommyof3princesses View Post
Quite a few people actually prefer refurbished camera! The one thing you want to know is if it was refurbished by the manufacturer or someone else and also how long the warranty is on it. If you go to you can view refurbished there and I have heard great things about them. I believe they carry a 1 year warranty.

Now as to why some people prefer the refurb over the new is because the refurbished had to go through all of the testing and pass all of the spec tests where the new are just sent out off the line without that testing so you actually could be receiving a better "used" camera than new! I hope that makes sense. If you have any questions let me know. What camera are you looking at?
All refurbished units sold by Adorama Camera are factory refurbished by the manufacturer. A refurbished unit from Adorama may be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment).

A refurb can also have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if it hasn't passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used.

A refurbished item will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

In the past Adorama warranted Canon refurbished for 90 days; since 1st May 2009, all Canon refurbished products from Adorama come with a 1 year return-to-Adorama warranty. The warranty we give covers anything the manufacturer's warranty covers for a new unit, including shutter defects.

I hope this helps, but if you need anything else, please do email me directly.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Last edited by HelenOster; 12-08-2009 at 08:36.