View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 11:57
Default Re: Holy lord, I'm a moron

Originally Posted by jhall52 View Post
OK...I keep my cutting mat on the table all the time now (there goes the dining room!) On the edge where I do all my cutting, I've got a 4 x 6 piece of glass from a frame and I've actually got it double-sided taped down so it won't move. I measure what length of ribbon I want and kind of keep my thumb where it needs to be cut. (With grosgrain I don't think it's too hard because of the lines on it.) I slide the end of the ribbon that has already been cut off the right side of the glass (that's just the side I work from) until the edge that needs to be cut is just on the edge of the glass. Then I take my woodburner and just run it down the edge of the glass, cutting and sealing the ribbon at the same time. It never burns and the cut is always even. Did I do a better job of explaining it? If not tomorrow I'll take some pics and try to upload them so you all can see what I mean.

P.S. Allison...I bought some organza fabric this weekend at Joann's with a 40% off coupon so I ended up paying something like $3.99 a yard. Is that good? Then of course because I loved you singed flowers so much I got seed beads, too. Never even touched the things, so this will be interesting!
Yes that is pretty good, I usually buy my chiffon and satin at about 1/4 widths, that way I dont have so much sitting around AND I can get more with my moolah~~~ I still cant visualize what you are saying can you take a pic? I am VERY thus my tuts having a bazillion pics

Originally Posted by hypatia23 View Post
I'm a cheater-here's how I cut with the wood burner.
Leave my ribbon on the dowels and count every 4th ribbon then cut at an angel while they are STILL ON THE DOWEL. No rulers, no stretching ribbon. I get about 5 cuts per dowels and then I'm ready to sew. I have a fine-tip wood burner and I have to be careful when cutting not to melt the ribbons together so I leave a tiny space when wrapping (not even 1/8 inch). I could never go back to the old days when I was trying the heat seal all those ends YIKES!
I wondered if you could cut them on the dowel!! Now I know