Thread: Please Help
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 11:29
Default Re: Please Help

Originally Posted by thespotteddot View Post
What I did is put together a little catalog of bows I could make them, including bows they had seen on the internet they had liked, plus my prices. Then I let them pick which they wanted. They asked for all of theirs to be on pony o's but you can give them a choice. The way a lot of women do it on here is charge a dollar per inch on the bow. Like a 6 inch cheer bow might be about 6 dollars. HOWEVER, that would be for a single layer of grosgrain. Its going to be more if the bow is made with several colors of ribbon or made with sequined or metallic ribbon that has to be attached with hemming tape. Then its going to go up in price. I don't really have a formular to use. I'm also building my business so I tried to give these girls pretty good prices so maybe the word would spread faster.

I know some people take the amount of money it took to make the item and then they double it and there's the price. I would probably just research what some are going for on the internet and go from there.

Well, you want to make sure that you are only using YOUR pictures. You wouldn't want to pass off another's work as your own. Also, you will want to practice making the bows before you tell someone you can make them.

Cheer bows aren't any harder to make that regular bows, but they are usually bigger. My DH is a cheerleading coach and I make A LOT of cheer bows. You will need to put them on pony tail holders because most are not allowed to have any metal. You will also want to find out ifm they are wanting spirit bows or if they are for competition. They usually like the extra big ones for competition and those are the ones that I sell the most of. They are made with 3" wide ribbon and I charge $12-$16 depending on the ribbon they want. Then there is a smaller one made with 2.25" ribbon and the smallest ones I make are made with 1.5 ribbon. They are all just a variation of the tails down bow, but you will change the size of the loops and tails dependin on what they want.

Do a google search for cheer bows and you will find a lot of examples to try. HERE is a good site to look at. She has some really pretty ones.

I can try to take some pics of mine if you want. PM me if you want to see them. I don't have many pics becasue I always meet with the teams in person and take samples of bows and my color chart. I have found that taking the actual bow samples instead of just pics really helps. That way they can compare the sizes.