View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 11:44
Default Re: D-flector/light box????

Well, I had to look up what a D-flector was... I don't sell bows or anything but do photography... so I have not actually seen this before! It's neat... but I think it's going to take some playing with for you... it seems like it's designed to work with a flash... so having said that you should really be needing to set up lamps for this. But, the downfall of a standard on-camera flash is it tends to over power the subject... so you could try using that with your camera flash (no other lights set up)... if you are getting shadows or your bows are getting washed out you could try taping a piece of wax paper, white coffee filter, or white tissue over the flash to lessen the effect of the flash.
As for trouble with colors... that is a white balance issue... so if you are using lamps for light try to find bulbs at the highest wattage you can get that have an actual temperature on them (it'll say a number then K... that's the "temp" in kelvin) then you can either set your camera to this temp if you have that ability or set your editing software to that temp. But you may still have issues if there are other light sourses, like a window... so if your camera can, you could set a custom white balance (it's different in all cameras, so check your manual)
as for a light box... here's a link to a DIY one: Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio
It is used in the site photos with an external flash... I don't know how well it would do with house lamps... but you can find some higher wattage shop lamps and experiment to make it work! White backgrounds are difficult to get straight out of the camera without professional lighting... oh, one tip I just thought of... essentally to get the white background white (normally a camera would turn it gray or blue-ish without proper lighting) is to add a light on the background or behind the background! So if you decide to do something other the D-flector, then try using a white backdrop that can have a light under or behind it... the added light from behind will overexpose the background and give you a pure white.
(sorry for rambling... but photography is what I do much better then bows, hope it helps you)