View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 10:50
Default Re: Attention To All!

Originally Posted by cynthia View Post
oh looksie! I'm guessing it's ok with RABOM's ribbons (for those that didn't sign up with their Newsletter):

Consumer Product Safety Act.
Ribbon and Bows Oh My is always striving to improve our product, customer service, and quality. One of our 2007 goals that we undertook was to specifically put a lot of effort into Safety, Health, and the Environment. We have received questions and comments from you, our customers regarding the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, with respect to Title I –CHILDREN’S PRODUCT SAFETY. We have reviewed this document and have contacted all our suppliers and received updated Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), and/or Test Analysis reports on all our product categories.
Section 101 pertains to the lead paint rule. A synopsis of the bill states that:
• 180 days after the bill is enacted, the total lead limit is 600 ppm content by weight.
• One Year (1) after the bill is enacted; the total lead limit is 300 ppm content by weight.
• And three years (3) after the bill is enacted; the total lead limit is 100 ppm content by weight.
• If the commission feels that 100 ppm is not technologically feasible able to be tested, then the limit will read 300 ppm.
We have talked to our supplier of the flat back resins, and the surface coating black paste used to paint the resins is <20 ppm. Additional testing is not required by Ribbon and Bows Oh my due to the very low levels of lead (Pb).
The Bill also states that “Prohibition on the Sale of Certain Products Containing Phthalates- Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, it shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture for sale, offer for sale, distribute in commerce, or import into the United States any children's toy or child care article that contains concentrations of more than 0.1 percent of di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), dibutyl phthalate (DBP), or benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP).”
All our ribbon is free from di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), dibutyl phthalate (DBP), or benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP).
Second Party Testing is NOT required as a result of the above noted results. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact our Plant Manager, Tony Byrne at (866) 538-2416 or email at

Now, it's just the hardware we need to know/get infos? Altho, am not sure if the above will help us bowmakers to continue what we're doing : bowmaking / selling...
I wondered the same thing after getting RABOM's e-mail so I wrote back and asked if their alligator clips and other metal hardware had been tested for lead. Here's what I got back:

yes the clips have also been tested and the Method Detection Level is 2 with the results of No detection, therefore the levels are negligible. We appreciate your concern, but we feel that our product is safe.

If you have any further questions, feel free to call us.

Best Regards,

Anthony J. Byrne
Plant Manager
Ribbon and Bows Oh My
Diana @ Ladybug Limited on Facebook and... check out my shop on Etsy -- home of the hand-printed fabric button clip and pony!