View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 08:49
Default Re: OK, I'm just not getting this!!

Originally Posted by yellaribbon View Post
First let me say that I read the whole thread.

Everyone on here started somewhere. My first bows were HORRIBLE. But I thought they were so cute! I was so proud of myself. I put them on ebay and guess what happened? Nothing.

Lorraine made an excellent point. You are doing yourself a disservice by putting your products out there too soon. Many of us have done it. I did. What happens is people see your bows that are not so great.

Later on you have worked more on perfecting the craft and your products are much better.

A potential customer does a google search and your business name comes up. She remembers your name and thinks, "Hmm, I saw her stuff at a craft show. It wasn't what I was looking for." You have lost a potential customer because you were too anxious to get out into the marketplace.

Some experienced bow makers are offended by new people who do this. I can't tell you how many times I have argued with my husband because I know a person has ordered one of our products just to take it apart to try to learn how to make our bows. He says they paid for the bow, so send it. I say I know she is a bow maker; I'm refunding her money and telling her I don't sell to bow makers.

While some are offended at the "over enthusiasm" to get out there, others are trying to help you. We are telling you to take a step back and realize that you are hurting yourself and the market by putting inferior products on the market too soon.

Practice, practice, practice. You'll get it. I put a picture of one of my first bows and one of my recent bows on another thread. Huge difference. And I thought the first ones were awesome! I wish someone had given me this advice back then. Take it or leave it. It's your choice.
I completely understand where everyone is coming from...I know most on here have spent years perfecting what they do.

I guess when I mentioned going to the show I failed to say that I was ONLY taking the bows (and other things) that I HAVE perfected and that do look really good. I've already sold several of these in fact.

I would never take bows that look like crap or ones I haven't perfected - I will hopefully be doing this a long time and don't want anything out there that would give me a bad name. No, at the show I'm simply tagging along with a friend who already has a booth just to see what it's all about. I'm taking a few things just to see how they go over.

I do a lot more items than bows - I mainly got into the bows because I already make them for my daughter. Thanks for your advice!