View Single Post
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2013, 03:34
JHuskerFan JHuskerFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 166
Default Re: So I was wondering.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by traciestrends View Post
The whole licensed/copyright stuff is so confusing to me! So if I went into HL and they had the ribbon I could use it to make bows to sale?
That's the iffy one, I recommend reading up on it. Etsy will still shut you down, but legally you "may" be able to sell it if it's licensed. However, some companies will bully you, and you'd probably need a lawyer's help. Read up on tabberone.com, very interesting stuff... For me, I just don't use it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin7786 View Post
I can ask the people from swamp people that i know, im sure they would know. let me know if you want me to ask. or the people from swamp pawn. YEEAAAA lol thats the town i live in, whoopie lol
That is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMom View Post
I just looked at a roll of Mickey Mouse ribbon I got from HL and it says "For Craft Use Only". Same thing with the collegiant ribbon I bought from Wal-Mart. Technically you can only use them for personal use, but not to sale.
Maybe, maybe not - read up on it. I think there is question whether they can truly tell you want you can do with a legally purchased product. Could you never re-use anything into another product? Anyway, would still probably need a lawyer to deal with it if they bothered you about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxie23 View Post
I stay away fro that reason too fear of getting in trouble but.... so many do it my luck I would be the jerk that gets caught! You can totally gift them though that would be considered crafting
I just choose not to use it as well. With gifting, I would say that as a general rule you'd be ok. But, if you own a business, could be sticky (though the chances of getting "caught" if you are only gifting a few items is extremely unlikely)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traciestrends View Post
Oops! I have broken the law! I have made and sold bows using character ribbon that I have bought from different places. I seriously thought that as long as you bought the ribbon from somewhere like wallyworld, HL, Joann's, etc. it was okay to use. I also thought that it was not okay to buy ribbon from someone that printed it theirselves or copy images off the Internet.
Maybe/maybe not, see above

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMom View Post
Honestly, until I read on here I figured buying the ribbon from a reputable supplier would make it o.k. to use also. You probably will not run into problems selling at shows or locally. I wouldn't recommend putting them on Etsy. Disney and Sanrio (Hello Kitty and Angry Birds) have really been aggressive in going after people selling their copyrighted images. Etsy has a TON of copyrighted stuff for sale, but I am terrified I will be the one they choose to go after so I won't post them.
I don't think you are wrong, but they will/may still go after you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxie23 View Post
I would think shows and stuff are ok def stay away from plays like Etsy and Ebay
Etsy and Ebay WILL shut you down for it (right or wrong, and they can do that because it's their site - fight the big guy or the little guy....)
__________________
-Jennifer- Full-time working mommy to Connor (August '09) and Maia (June '11)
Please forgive my typos, I'm often on an iPad which is difficult to edit (if I even noticed it changed a word )
Reply With Quote