Thread: Stiffeners
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 12:25

Default Stiffeners

Hello Everyone,

My name is Stacey. I am really new to bow-making and am a junior member on this site.

I understand that making quality bows comes from trial and error. Seeing what works for you, getting instruction and sometimes tweeking them to work best for you. I just wanted to share this little bit of info. Some people probably already are aware of this but if they are not, I would love to help others having the same issue I was having because this was my biggest problem with my bows.

After making a bunch of bows, I realized that mine never looked as good as the OTT ones I saw others make. Mine were always losing their perkiness and shape. That is, until I saw someone put in the product info on Etsy, that they sprayed their bows with a stiffener.

So, a light bulb went off in my head and I thought this was the answer to my problem. I purchased STIFFEN QUIK and a few other fabric stiffeners which i cant name because i threw them out. Even after attempting to heat seal my bows with the stiffeners via hair dryer and (this might sound weird) microwave I was still having no luck getting them to shape the way i wanted.

Still having some frustration with my bows not holding their shape I was about to give up. Untilll......... I tried something else that actually works.

4 glorious words: TRESemme CLIMATE PROTECTION HAIRSPRAY!!!

Spraying the bows with this and then running my hairdryer over them made them not only hold their perkiness and even helped made my spikes look a lot more professional.

I sprayed my ribbon with this hairspray and heat sealed it before cutting my spikes and the spikes cut so clean and neat I almost didn't feel the need to heat seal the edges with a lighter to prevent fraying. I still did anyways, just to be safe

Just wanted to share this with others. Hope this helps.

P.S- One of my friends said she keeps her daughter bows, that I made her in their bathroom and the bows weren't even affected by the shower steam. Must be the climate protection in this particular hairspray.

My shop is on Etsy @ Gia Nia's Bowtique

Last edited by GiaNiasMommy; 10-20-2012 at 12:32. Reason: misspellings and adding additional info
Sponsored Links