View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 08:14
Default Re: Is this cheating or unethical?

Here is the bottom line....we are fortunate enough to live in a free enterprise world. That means unless something is copyrighted, patented, or trademarked, we live in a country that allows for business competition. An no, a tutu cannot be copyrighted or patented. It can be trademarked. So, if someone is successfully selling "Jelly Bean Tutus", do not label your tutus "Jelly Bean Tutus". Just like how you can't create a tennis shoe and call them Nike or Reebok.
I know that it can be irritating when someone begins to use another person's "method" for making something. But, I think there is a right and wrong way to go about it. You can use the "method", but then use your own sense of design and selling strategies. Living in a country with free enterprise can be frustrating at times.....but I'll take it over living in a dictatorship.
Even with this, though, I would encourage using some ethics in not looking at any particular business and doing EVERYTHING they do....I would call that stalking and that would be a little over the top.