View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 02:56
Default Re: What mistakes have you learned from since making/selling bows

Let's see--

1) don't steal pictures. You WILL be found out and then your reputation will be tarnished and it will be hard to regain trust

2) Practice makes perfect. We all think our first bows/headbands/clips are great but now when I look back at the first stuff I have I can't believe I actually thought it looked good!

3) Packaging is super important. Buy nice boxes for bows, polymailers for shabby headbands and be sure to make it look nice. I wrap my items in pretty tissue paper and include a packing slip and a business card. All of my items come on bow or headband cards and I HAND WRITE a thank you on the packing slip. No one wants something that comes packed sloppy. Part of ordering online is the excitement of opening the package IMO.

4) Don't undersell your products or undercut the market!!!!! If you sell online do your research and find out what the median price is for the item you are selling. If you are selling locally don't undercut the other local businesses. That does no one any good and you won't make a profit.

5) Figure out a formula that will help you make a profit. Set an amount you want to pay yourself per hour. Then figure out how much time it takes you to make each one of your items. Figure out the cost of the item you make and then add your "fee" in. That should give you a MINIMUM of what to charge. Don't forget to include Paypal fees into your pricing. I add the cost of my shipping materials (labels, boxes, tissue paper, cards, etc) into the shipping cost. Yes, it only cost $1.67 to mail a 3 oz package but I need to pay for all the materials that went into the packaging.

6) Your pictures need to be CLEAR. Use the macro setting on your camera. No stray hairs, toys in the background, junk on the counter, etc. Get some scrapbook paper from the craft store and use it to stage your photos. Good lighting is key. Don't forget to watermark them.