View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 09:03
Default Re: Copyright Issues When Making Bottle Caps?

My images I buy from a couple graphic designers, or so they claim, with the intention of not reselling the image alone but with the intention of using it in a product I create and that is included in the seller's policy. Yes, I have bought images from those graphic designers that they created, along with images that she created using Hello Kitty or others. I truly was asking because I honestly thought that if I bought the bottle caps that she makes, then that I could use them on my bows and that it would fall under that First Sale.

Have a great day!

Originally Posted by enlivendesigns View Post
Hmm. I'm going to avoid the First Sale portion of your question. If you are buying an image sheet that was created by the seller ( I mean if the graphics were DRAWN ( or created in photoshop or wherever ) by the seller (and they aren't copying a well known image ie Mickey Mouse) then you are buying an image sheet that is clearly intended for you to create and sell items from it (of course many sellers indicate that their images are for personal use only)

If you are buying an image sheet with obviously copywritten material - Disney, Marvel, Hello Kitty, Sports Teams ETC then I can 99% guarantee you the person sold it to you illegally and if you were to do anything with them it would be illegal as well. But hey so is downloading music right? Everyone does it. (note..that last comment was sarcastic - I am a graphic designer and would not appreciate anyone stealing my graphics just like musicians and actors don't want their movies or music stolen. Reselling the images/mp3s/movies is even worse and a very real crime)

But like I said, if the images were created by the artist with their intentions that the buyer (aka you) would be creating and selling crafts with them.. then you should feel free to do so. Ask the person you bought from or revisit their website if you are unsure.
**I am here to better myself and my work. I have no room for drama so don't include me and don't take your bad day out on me - just smile!**
Much Love & Happiness!