View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 06:26
Default Re: I'm pathetic. Need help with ruffled ribbon flower.

if you have some satin ribbon or lace . . . that works up easier/gathers better than grosgrain and i'd suggest using this 1st to get the feel/hang of it . . . and keep in mind it does make a difference as to the thickness and bendability of the material.

and at the end i go thru the 1st stitch & have the raw ends together . . . and then gather - look at it to make sure i like it - and then secure the two ends together and then cut the ribbon/heat seal them together. if i don't like the way it looks . . . i just cut the thread and start again. haha - no more wasted lengths of ribbon!

if i'm gonna make a lot from that particular ribbon - i stretch out the ribbon/ungather it and measure . . . and then just pin mark the next one.

for the length . . . i typically double the outer circumference = length - but, again, it depends on how stiff/floppy the material you're using!

if your stitches are showing - that usually means you've got to take smaller stitches so there's more gathers in the center to hide them.

crap - i hate writing the way i do stuff cause i usually leave something important out . . . but given this a try.

edit . . . just doing some more thinking (that could be dangerous) and i remember reading a post somewhere on here that said using elastic thread makes a big difference in how it gathers. i keep on meaning to buy some of the thread & try it.

no sympathy from me . . . i'm still working on perfecting the tbb!

edit edit - forgot one more thing - an old quilter's trick . . also move the ribbon when gathering . . . now this one needs a video to explain - and before you ask, i'm not video savvy !

Last edited by prleaf; 04-12-2012 at 06:42.