View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 02:10
Default Re: Need recs for die-cutting machine and cover-button press

Originally Posted by casemarten View Post
Also, do you guys have any recs for things I need to get along with the Big Shot?? Like do I need to buy extra pads or anything to accommodate different die sets? I'm totally new to this but would like to have what I need when I purchase so I can set up and play immediately
The Big Shot comes with all the plates you need for conversion. Eventually the cutting pads need to be replaced but you can get a ton of wear out of them before that becomes necessary. I just got one last month, and it is by far one of my favorite things I've bought for making hair accessories. If you want to cut felt, the thick dies with a foam surface (Originals and Bigz) work the best for cutting fabric and felt. I tried the Nestabilities and had a lot of difficulty with fabric and felt, but I have since heard that if you place a piece of cardstock on top, you can get them to cut the thicker felt sold by the yard. I haven't been able to try this out yet though, because I took the set back and got other Sizzix dies instead. Someday, when my budget allows, I'm going to try them again.

The other die-cut machine out there is the Cuttlebug. I haven't tried this one, but from the photos I don't think it is as sturdy as the Sizzix. The sides on it fold up for storage, which is a nice option. But, I worry that down the road they could break more easily. The Sizzix however, is incredibly sturdy and feels like it is built to last.