View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 10:26
Default Re: How to attach flowers to a dress sash?

Originally Posted by staciem View Post
First of all, thank you all for your replies and help. I really appreciate it!

So, let me see if I understand what you're suggesting... I lay my flowers (in the grouping they'll be in when in their final placement) on top of the felt so that I can trace their approximate shape onto the felt. I cut out the felt in that traced shape. I glue that felt on what will be the backside of the ribbon. Then I sew or glue my flowers onto the topside of the ribbon.

Is there a benefit to cutting the felt into the approximate shape of the flowers rather than just doing a rectangular strip that fits the width of the ribbon? Oh wait. I think I might have just answered my own question. Is it so that if you have flowers that are larger than the ribbon and "bleed" off the edges of the ribbon, they will still be backed by that felt?

Jeni, that's a great suggestion about the pin backs. I might just go that route and not worry about felting the back side at all...

Thank you SO much ladies!
I like to cut a more organic shape than a rectangle or oval... I just think it makes everything look nicer on the back side, and helps to make sure all the "Ugly" on the back of any of your flowers... and any glue is covered.

All of my tutorials are now available through my etsy store.

Check out my Tutorial Album on Picasa.