View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 02:19

Default Re: I don't get it!? Help.

Your caps can be foggy for a couple of different reasons. You could have under mixed it or over mixed your resin or if you use a lighter to pop the bubbles it could be because of that.

Here is how I make my bottle caps

I use
envirotex lite
2 plastic disposable cups
3 "popsicle" craft sticks
a scale
a straw
a toothpick

I place a disposable cup on my scale, zero the scale out (make sure its set to grams not ounces)
Pour resin into the plastic cup (as a general rule 1 gram makes one cap, I use a little bit less than this but that is how much I mix, unless it is a flattened bottle cap in which case I use a bit more.

Say we are making 40 caps
I pour 20grams of resin into the container
then I pour 22 grams (for a total of 42) hardener in the same cup (I always err on the side of more hardener than resin).
Mix GENTLY and SLOWLY
Pour into the second container and mix with a new craft stick
Toss that craft stick and get the new one and start putting it on the bottle caps
Once I finish the last cap I grab my straw and GENTLY blow on each bottle cap to pop the bubbles
If there is a stubborn bubble I will bring it to the top with the toothpick and then blow it away

I used to use lighters to pop the bubbles (and am still tempted sometimes) but it would leave a bit of a gray tint to the resin.

I have found that the LESS I actually do to the caps the better they are.

I hope this helps let me know if you have any questions!