View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 04:20
Default Cheap & EZ Tulle Cutting Tutorial

I've been meaning to upload this for a long time now, I hope it is helpful for some of you. My mantra is to work smarter, not harder and so I gave up making tutus, haha! But for those of you that need an easier way to cut tulle spools, this is what I came up with.

Step 1 - Measure a gift box set. This Gymbo box is 13.5" long or about the right length for an infant tutu. This box size can also be used to make a 27" length of tulle if you are making a dress length or a tutu for a big girl. If you need a different length, just find a different gift box size that has a smooth plastic coated surface. You can always get four different lengths from this method, the length or the length X 2, or the width or the width X 2. Just make sure in the taping step below to tape in the same direction that you are going to cut.

Step 2 - Tape the box twice (once towards each side) making sure you leave enough room at the ends of the box where you will need to slip your scissors in between the boxes. If you want longer lengths of tulle, tape across the short side of the box, if you want shorter lengths of tulle, tape across the long side of the box.

This is what the box looks like after Step 2:

Step 3 - A 6" spool of tulle will fit on your TP holder! I put it on with the loose end hanging from the bottom as opposed to the top. Do whatever works for you but I found it easier this way.

Step 4 - Center the tulle carefully and hold secure with your thumbs.

Step 5 - Hold carefully and start rolling slowly until the bottom tulle will stay put without you holding it in place.

Step 5a - Keep rolling...

Step 6 - When you think you have enough for your tutu project or the tulle is getting too thick and you think you might have trouble cutting through it, cut it off from the roll.

Step 7 - Secure the tulle with two large clips.

Step 8 - Slide your scissors carefully under all of the tulle and between the two box sides. I used to use other household items to measure my tulle but cutting was always a problem because there was no room to work the scissors!

Step 9 - Cut slow and careful.

Step 10 - If you are going to use the tulle as a long strip (27") then you can cut through here. If you need to cut on the other side of the box to get 13.5" strips, stop here and cut the opposite site. This helps keep all the tulle from being a big hard to handle mess. Snip through this side after cutting the other side.

Done! - Wallah! Even strips of tulle that are all the same length, with straight edges and all stacked together neatly!

Sponsored Links