Thread: Pricing Help
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 05:33
Smile Re: Pricing Help

Originally Posted by missdana1105 View Post
$5 an hour is not enough and I think that hurts the rest of the bow sellers. Your calculations seem really off to me $3.50 is A LOT for supplies, my large stacked boutique bows with fancy rhinestone sliders cost me about $2 to make and they are my most expensive bow (mini top hats and other items can be more expensive).

What about the time it takes to take and edit photos, post listings, reply to Etsy convo's, promote, etc. By the time you add everything else in you might be making $2.50 an hour, maybe. I think you are selling yourself short and hurting the rest of us.

I don't mean to sound mean, I am only trying to help, selling yourself short hurts everyone. Eventually you will get burnt out and tired of not making any money.

Personally I may myself $15-$20 an hour, which is close to what I get at my day job. It might seem excessive but I want to this to be something I can support my family on one day and I can't do that with $5 an hour.
IMO, $5/hr is plenty for me right now. The above was only an example of how she could come to a price for her item, like I said it is how I price 'MY' items. I calculate everything from ribbon, to embellishments, to the amount of glue & thread that I use, sometimes gas is even factored in on a single bow.

Also, Maybe your market supports $15-$20 for bows...mine doesn't. If I tried to sell one of my simple bows for $20, I'd get laughed at, becauser people simply do not pay that much around here. While, my bows certainly could sell for more than what I price them, I'm just starting out in my business and I feel it would do more harm than good to price them that high. Like I said on another thread, maybe once I'm more established & get better a making bows, then I will consider raising my prices some. Even still, I will not price any of my hairbows for $20. I started making hairbows because I could not afford to spend $20 on a new hairbow for every outfit my daughter owns & I know plenty of Moms who feel the same. I make affordable bows. I've spent more than $20 on a single hairbow several times before, & while the hairbow was lovely, I cannot spend that much all of the time. It's just not practical.

And I'm not hurting any other bow makers. My customers like simple bows... They come to me for simple & classic bows that will last through several outfits & occasional OTT & OOAK bows. If they want OTT all of the time, they go to other bow makers, which is fine, I'm happy, they are how am I hurting anyone? :/
{I'm just here to learn & help if I can. I create for therapy. I sell to put myself through nursing school. There is no room for drama in my life.}